Plaster finally going in ... Bi Carb Questions and possible guidance

Thanks for the direction pooldv. At the moment, I don't have time to research both of them, but a quick look shows one being a 1.5 versus a 3 hp. I am quite certain of 1.5 hp would be plenty? What do you think it's worth a couple hundred dollars more to go with the other advantages of the bigger pump? Also all my PVC pipe is 2 inch, will both of these pumps work for that application? I am ready to pull the trigger just want to be sure I order the right pump, I can have it within two days if I order it today.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I should note the label on my filter says max flow rate of 125 gallons per minute. The 3 hp 011018 Inteliflo says it's capable of 145 GPM, whereas the superflow 1.5 HP says capable of 113 GPM. Does this mean the 3 hp is too big, or that is Max capability but I can still use it? I just want to be sure I do this right. I'm fine with the 1.5 hp if it will do the job, but I do not want to end up short after I spend the money on a new pump and motor. I'd rather go too big than too small, as long as the filter can handle it. I do have 2" PVC.

Thanks bdavis, I just did not know if for an extra 180 bucks it might be worth going with the more power and more options. I think it's three speeds versus eight as well. Since my filter says 125 max, maybe is not even an option? I'm not sure how that all works.

The 1-1/2 hp is plenty for everything as long as you don't have a spa. I have the 3hp and it is overkill, I never run it at max speed even when running solar and waterfall. 2" pipe is good for both. Your filter will be good too because the beauty of having a variable speed pump is you run it at the slowest speed that works the best. I run mine at 1100 rpm for filtering, skimming and making chlorine. It uses 150 watts at 1100 rpm. At 10.25c/kWh I can run the pump 12 hours a day for 6 bucks a month. And filters are more efficient at lower flow rates.

The Intelliflo does have more capability if you are thinking about installing automation or a solar controller in the future.

Well I just got off the phone with Pentair. After explaining everything to me, especially the programming capabilities, I think I will go with the Inteliflo. Is definitely more than I need, but I would be limited to three programs one of which would be used to turn the pump off limiting me to fewer program capabilities. I guess after fighting this situation I have currently, I would rather have more than I need than just adequate, plus the capabilities if I do want to further automate later. I sure appreciate all the help I get here. After I quit spending so much money on this pool I will upgrade my sponsorship to gold. Lol

Here are the current numbers:
PH 7.5
C - 4
CC - 0
CYA - ~28
TA - 290
CH - 325
CSI - .5

Will bring Ph down to 7.3 for s CSI of .3

Best guess on CYA, but it is registering. Should come up a bit as I added another 1.25 lbs last night, for a total of 5 LBS. in a 15K pool, that should put CYA at 40. Should have a good test tomorrow.

I agree on the pump. I will definitely get another one when mine breaks. It is a great pump and better to have the features and power and not need them the need them and not have them. Ask the installer to use unions when installing so you can remove it if needed without having to cut and replumb. Also, have them install a surge protector in your pool panel to protect the electronics.

Thanks for supporting TFP!

I have a question regarding the surge protector. Currently, the pump (and booster pump for pressure side cleaner) are on mechanical timers. These timers are located near the breaker box probably 100 feet from the pumps. Not sure why they did this. My plan is to either have the mechanical timer for the filter pump in the "on" position so there is always power to the VS pump, or have it removed. Since I have no panel, where would this surge protector go? Here is pictures of the set up. I will leave the booster pump as is, but either have the filter pump timer removed or just left on. Where would the surge protector go? I am electrically challenged. Breakers 8 & 10 run the pumps.....The panel is full.

.IMG_3307.jpgIMG_3308.jpg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
OK, here's a silly question, where does that mount? Just on the outside of the box?

TA is down from ~ 350 to ~270 range. Been keeping the pH at the 7.5 range, adding 30 to 32 oz of MA a day maintaining that level. I can see very little plaster dust when brushing, not much, but at the end of each brush stroke I can see a little dust on the bottom. Overall, this bicarbonate start up has been very easy for my situation. Two more days and my plaster man said I'm OK to run the Kreepy Krawler, and the most exciting thing is I think my Inteliflo VS should show up tomorrow, hopefully put it in this weekend.[emoji4]

Went to the pool store just to doublecheck my CYA numbers because I am not sure of my capabilities of the test. Based on what I put in the pool, if my size estimate is correct, 5 pounds CYA should've been around 30 ppm. I get about 28, but can still barely see the dot. So I thought I would take a water sample to the local pool store, there are two nearby. I brought the same water sample to both one got 10 ppm the other 30 ppm, my pH is 7.5, one of them got 7.6 and the other 8. On TA one said 240 the other said 280. The pool stores are both the same company. Anyway, just goes to show you if you don't have your own Test Kit, you better run not walk to get one. I added another 14 ounces of CYA to the sock, the way I figure it that should put me at 35 ppm, so if I'm a bit high or low I will be safe. Sure wish I knew for sure how much I had in the pool.

The margin for error is probably +or- 10-15 anyway so you are within reason.

Since you know you started at 0, know the volume, and know how much you added, you should be able to base your results off of what you mathematically should expect.

Thanks Brian, problem is I have guesstimated the size of my pool, I was hoping for a accurate reading so I could verify the size based on how much I put in. I will wait a week or so and then do the test again once I'm sure everything is dissolved and diluted, then based on the exact amount I put in I should build to zero in on the size of my pool. I'll do the test and bring it to a few pool stores and see if I can get somebody's test to match the other. Trouble is, they're predicting 4 to 6 inches of rain over the next three days.... Oh well, life is good.

Getting other testing results is only going to be more confusing for you. Trust your test and avoid the store's results.

Agreed. I should mention also that the young kid at the pool store told me I should add 2 gallons of MA to get my alkalinity in order. He didn't mention a little bit at a time according to PH, Just said put 2 gallons in the pool to get the alkalinity back in order. Then of course he asked me if I needed 2 gallons, I told him thanks but no thanks I have it at home. I could not help wondering if I had not been reading here, and did not know better, I may have just came home and dumped 2 gallons of MA in my pool...... [emoji15]

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.