Plaster Feedback

Chuckb1979

May 31, 2023
Gulfport, MS
Question for you all since this is my first pool and still learning. Had a new Gunite pool installed in November. The pool leaked from day one. After several attempts to locate the leak the PB decided to replaster the pool. It still leaked. Fast forward to February and the pool was still leaking. PB asked me to stop adding water (losing 1-1.25” per day). The water stopped just below the Polaris outlet. They were able to determine that a light which was already puttied 4 times was the culprit. Leak was fixed. Filled pool up and noticed the plaster on our tanning deck had eggshell type cracks in it. Also noticed the plaster had a tan tint to it. I could not keep dirt out of the pool. It was later determined that the filter system was plumbed incorrectly and the cartridges were splitting and feeding dirt back into the pool. The PB came out and fixed the plumbing issue but says the plaster is fine. I do not like the cracks in it though. What is your opinion of this? I’m holding his final payment until it is addressed. Just want to make sure I am being reasonable . Thanks

Question for you all since this is my first pool and still learning. Had a new Gunite pool installed in November. The pool leaked from day one. After several attempts to locate the leak the PB decided to replaster the pool. It still leaked. Fast forward to February and the pool was still leaking. PB asked me to stop adding water (losing 1-1.25” per day). The water stopped just below the Polaris outlet. They were able to determine that a light which was already puttied 4 times was the culprit. Leak was fixed. Filled pool up and noticed the plaster on our tanning deck had eggshell type cracks in it. Also noticed the plaster had a tan tint to it. I could not keep dirt out of the pool. It was later determined that the filter system was plumbed incorrectly and the cartridges were splitting and feeding dirt back into the pool. The PB came out and fixed the plumbing issue but says the plaster is fine. I do not like the cracks in it though. What is your opinion of this? I’m holding his final payment until it is addressed. Just want to make sure I am being reasonable . Thanks
Got pictures of the cracks? Some small check cracking is somewhat normal, but long linear cracks are not.

This is the replaster? That plaster looks terrible (very similar to my new plaster) I would have him do a full chip out and hire another company to find the leak(s) and do the replaster.

Yes, the pool drained allowing the plaster to dry out causing the egg shell cracking. There is also a water line around the entire pool where it drained.
Our plaster looks very much like yours. Our builder did an acid wash which only made it worse. We are finally (hopefully) going to be able to get it replastered. Your builder should replaster yours, nothing about the plaster looks normal. I expect mottling and variation but yours (and mine) is not, they seem to be on the extreme end of a poor install.

Pool builder agreed yesterday to do a complete chip out and replaster. Hopefully this one goes better
Good luck! After more than 9 months of begging, chasing, pleading, and now getting legal involved, my builder is hopefully going to agree to it this week....what a headache!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.