Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
FC 5.5
CC 0
PH 7.7
CH 425ppm
TA 55
CYA 40

Pool was plastered with Barbados Blue quartzscape and filled 17 days ago. It has been brushed very thoroughly twice a day for 16 days. Much of the plaster is blotchy, especially the bottom, and I don't think we've made any progress getting it off. PB told me to go at it aggressively with a stainless/nylon brush, but I've seen a lot of people advise to not to do that to new plaster. I got 2 good quality nylon brushes and are using them. The first week and a half of brushing created a lot of sediment, but the amount has gone down considerably.

Here was the startup process- After plastering, the crew did an acid wash. They threw a hose in the deep end and left. I added another hose, put socks around them, and attached water bottles so they floated. The fill took about 28 hours and was not interrupted. Builder told us they would take care of balancing the water and their guy came the day after it was filled. He dumped in a lot of acid, taking it down to 6, added a bottle of conditioner and put a chlorine puck in the feeder. The construction manager told us not to mess with the chemicals for 7 days and that the ph would correct itself. I lasted about 4 days before I balanced it.

We're concerned at this point we're going to be stuck with blotchy plaster. We've brushed a lot and will continue to do so, but it doesn't seem to make much of a difference. Is there another way to get off plaster dust? The builder isn't responding to messages anymore, so they won't be much help.

IMG_1812.JPGIMG_1820.JPGIMG_1821.JPGIMG_1826.JPG

Blotchy? That actually looks quite normal and good for a dark plaster. Color variations, mild mottling, is considered part of it.

All the manufacturers disclaim this in their warranty, quartzscapes is same:

5. Application, exposure and start up techniques will result in unique variations that are part of this handcrafted process. The colors and highlights of the QuartzScapes
pool finish material will alter with the reflection of the sun. Such variations shall not be considered to be a defect and/or failure.

Reactions: bradgray
Blotchy? That actually looks quite normal and good for a dark plaster. Color variations, mild mottling, is considered part of it.

All the manufacturers disclaim this in their warranty, quartzscapes is same:

5. Application, exposure and start up techniques will result in unique variations that are part of this handcrafted process. The colors and highlights of the QuartzScapes
pool finish material will alter with the reflection of the sun. Such variations shall not be considered to be a defect and/or failure.
Blotchy wasn't the best descriptor, mottling is more what I meant.
We were led to believe plaster would be more of a uniform blue color.

Blotchy wasn't the best descriptor, mottling is more what I meant.
We were led to believe plaster would be more of a uniform blue color.
Especially in the blues, I've never seen complete uniformity. As the dye fades in over time, you'll find a bit less mottling look, and, you will find shadowing is much of it, where in full direct sun it looks almost uniform. It's just a cement product with dye, varied stone colors, uneven shaping, and nothing about that is completely uniform in color as would find in paint. If you want to see how much mottling is actually light refraction differences v. actual pigment differences, turn on the white lights at night. It will look near perfect uniformity under pool light.

NTP is similar - 3. Pebble, application techniques, and pigment loss can result in variations of color, shade, and appearance. Such variations are not product defects. These natural variations are considered to be highlights of the StoneScapes finish.

PB's never discuss this aspect as part of the process, leading to disappointment and confusion when time comes. Yours actually look pretty good!

Last edited:
Reactions: bradgray
Especially in the blues, I've never seen complete uniformity. As the dye fades in over time, you'll find a bit less mottling look, and, you will find shadowing is much of it, where in full direct sun it looks almost uniform. It's just a cement product with dye, varied stone colors, uneven shaping, and nothing about that is completely uniform in color as would find in paint. If you want to see how much mottling is actually light refraction differences v. actual pigment differences, turn on the white lights at night. It will look near perfect uniformity under pool light.

NTP is similar - 3. Pebble, application techniques, and pigment loss can result in variations of color, shade, and appearance. Such variations are not product defects. These natural variations are considered to be highlights of the StoneScapes finish.

PB's never discuss this aspect as part of the process, leading to disappointment and confusion when time comes. Yours actually look pretty good!
Thanks for your insight; I'm learning something new about the pool everyday. I checked it out tonight with the white lights on and it looked as you predicted.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.