Plaster dust and swimming

SouKa2023

Aug 29, 2023
Arizona
just installed new pool with diamond brite pool plaster. Installer said once pool is full to jump in! I am seeing varying times 2-30 days as to when it is safe to jump in. What are the health consequences if you swim in plaster dust? Short and long term? I have been reading that plaster dust is just calcium carbonate etc. There is still dust and I swam in pool just worried thanks

Reactions: SouKa2023
If your pool is sanitized properly even with plaster dust it’s probably cleaner than any natural pond or lake… it may irritate the eyes some so goggles may be helpful

Reactions: SouKa2023
Welcome to the forum!
The plaster dust is no issue. Most of the precautions are around not damaging the plaster surface. So tread lightly.
I suggest you read through Pool Care Basics - Trouble Free Pool and even look at a few of our videos TFP-TV - Trouble Free Pool
Doesn’t dust cause a problem if a child accidentally swallows in the pool? The dust takes a while to come out so I don’t know if it makes sense to just wait - I think it’s calcium carbonate or calcium hydroxide? Not sure but can those be harmful when in the water playing for hours

Doesn’t dust cause a problem if a child accidentally swallows in the pool?
Breathing dust is bad. Swallowing it will likely pass right through. And even then, it's half an accidental mouthful, they're not drinking it. *if* it even happens in the first place. :)

Yes isn’t it a problem because it goes thru nose and possibly mouth when you swim ??
No, because you'd swish it around your mouth and spit it out, with the plaster dust still suspended in the pool water.

The nose is naturally draining and water tight when right side up. If any water makes it up your nose, you will likely blow it out violently as it's an uncomfortable feeling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.