Plaster cracking, how to fix?

May 26, 2017
West Hills, Ca.
Hello! I’ve got a concrete/plaster pool that was replastered or painted about 10years ago I think. I’ve got two hairline cracks one on side and one along one of the drains at the bottom. Also plaster is mottled in color a bit. I’m asking contractors to come and take a look and wanted some advice so I’m not taken for a ride. Was considering fiberglass resurface but one builder said it’s a nightmare and to go pebblecrete. I want something that will last and be a little easier to maintain it’s looks. Or see if some simple maintenance (or full replaster?) could fix the cracks and make it looks nicer overall?
Currently my chemistry is totally off due to me heater leaking and needing to be replaced and the pool not filtering well at all.
Lastly, anyone recommend an automatic chlorination system (pump or hasa liquidator or per air rainbow)?

I’ve done the bucket test a couple of times and there doesn’t seem to be a leak. What other methods do I have to see if these are structural? I’ve had someone come and they just quote replastering everything and say we won’t know if it’s deeper till we drain and start demo on the plaster. A bit drastic imho at this stage. But I dunno.
BTW there are about 4-5 thin cracks in different parts of the pool as opposed to concentrated in one or two locations, which I hope means it’s just the age of the plaster not holding up to normal earth movement. I wish there was a more elastic pool covering. I suppose vinyl, but I know nothing about that world either.

Last edited:
I’ve done the bucket test a couple of times and there doesn’t seem to be a leak. What other methods do I have to see if these are structural? I’ve had someone come and they just quote replastering everything and say we won’t know if it’s deeper till we drain and start demo on the plaster. A bit drastic imho at this stage. But I dunno.
BTW there are about 4-5 thin cracks in different parts of the pool as opposed to concentrated in one or two locations, which I hope means it’s just the age of the plaster not holding up to normal earth movement. I wish there was a more elastic pool covering. I suppose vinyl, but I know nothing about that world either.
Generally long cracks > 10” long that you can follow with your eyes easily point to structural cracks. Smaller spider-web small cracks tend to be more surface cracking.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.