Plaster cracking, coping coming off

SR71P52

Jun 26, 2020
New Jersey
Hi all, had my pool re-plastered with gunnite around 12 years ago. I’ve noticed over the past few years that there been several raised spots, small “potholes” and crack type areas on the floor and walls. Have also noticed that the plaster under the coping has begun to fall apart in some areas and the coping sounds hollow underneath. Below are some photos of the issues and general area. Please let me know what I can do!

Attachments

• IMG_1188.jpeg
    IMG_1188.jpeg
    475.2 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1190.jpeg
    IMG_1190.jpeg
    549.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1189.jpeg
    IMG_1189.jpeg
    411.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1195.jpeg
    IMG_1195.jpeg
    312.9 KB · Views: 36
  • IMG_1193.jpeg
    IMG_1193.jpeg
    383.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_1192.jpeg
    IMG_1192.jpeg
    375.2 KB · Views: 35
The cracked grout around your tiles needs to be repaired using something like …

I would closely examine your expansion joint and see if it needs to be replaced…

The potholes and crack in the plaster I would just leave alone. They are not a problem if the pool is not leaking water.

Thanks for the suggestions. the expansion joint meaning the caulk like material between the coping and the cement patio? If so, that definitively needs to be replaced. Do you have any suggestions for that? I believe you are suggesting that water ingress could have happened in the area and frozen under the coping to lift it and cause cracking? Is there any way to fix the lifted coping, as it definitely sounds slightly hollow when knocking on it. Or just repair the grout and the expansion joint and leave it?

Thanks for the suggestions. the expansion joint meaning the caulk like material between the coping and the cement patio? If so, that definitively needs to be replaced. Do you have any suggestions for that?
Scrape out the old joint seal, ensure you have a gap between the structures, put foam baccker rod in the joint and then top with Deck-O-Seal or Sikaflex 1A.

I believe you are suggesting that water ingress could have happened in the area and frozen under the coping to lift it and cause cracking?
Could be.

Is there any way to fix the lifted coping, as it definitely sounds slightly hollow when knocking on it.

Only way to fix the coping is to lift it off and see what is going on under it. Then replace in Type S Mortar.

Or just repair the grout and the expansion joint and leave it?

I would not remove the coping based on sound. If it becomes loose enough to wiggle or lift off then deal with it.

Fix the expansion joint and grout cracks before you have more serious problems of tiles coming loose.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.