Planning to add CircuPool RJ-60Plus

Jul 7, 2016
Londonderry/NH
Looking to purchase the CircuPool RJ-60 Plus for my pool. Just want to make sure I'll be setting it up correctly.
I understand the plumbing aspects and the need for straight pipe, but am still confused about the electrical aspect. I have a VSP with its own onboard timer and is directly powered through a 240V circuit.

When I add the Cell and control unit, I plan on powering it through a convenience outlet inside of my pool shed (120V) and installing its own mechanical timer also being powered by 120V, an Intermatic T101R. (I have one lying around). As long as I run the timer while the pump is scheduled to run, all should be good, right?

Or, is there a safe/reliable way of running it off of the timer on my pump? That way, if for some reason the pump trips out, it will also stop chlorine generation? In my scenario, with them being wired completely separate, if the pump cuts out, the cell could still be running? (Of course the flow switch would have to fail, but that is a possibility.)
From what I've seen here, that doesn't seem to be a good idea (Or am I wrong?)

As always, thanks in advance to the TFP experts!

You can buy a CH Magnetics current sensing relay for about $80. That is probably the most elegant solution. You put one side of the 240V wire through it and it senses pump motor current and turns on and off.

You can use a mechanical timer like an Intermatic. I have one that is not connected in my panel... But I decided not to use it... Because...

I bought an electronic timer switch instead. I am going to run mine off of 110V... $16 and it sets similar to the timer on the VSP. These only draw about 250W max.. Not a big deal. It has a battery backup like the pump so it can't get offset due to a power failure.

There are many options here. And yes you want two methods of it shutting down. All but the SJ series come with a flow switch. It is probably worthwhile to periodically check that both function.

Or, is there a safe/reliable way of running ...? That way, if for some reason the pump trips out, it will also stop chlorine generation?
I use this current sensing device, (CR4395-EH-120-110-X-CD-ELR-I). It senses current on one of the pump's 220v lines and switches 120V to my SWCG. When the pump isn't turning there is no power to the SWCG. Current trip point is adjustable. If you don't have 120 available there is a version that can switch 220V (see the second page of the above link). Its a device used in industrial application for motor control and monitoring. Just need to mount it in a box (weatherproof if install is outdoors), make some twist nut connections along with crimping four disconnect terminals.
1587635628552.png

Reactions: jonpcar
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.