Planning a DIY in ground liner pool. Need some advice

psu927

I've been doing a lot of searching and reading and am in the planning stages for my DIY pool and need advice.
I am planning on a 18X36 pool, 4' shallow end and 8' deep end. I am planning on doing a concrete bottom, and then concrete block built using the bottom as a footer to form the walls with a vinyl liner. This is where my basic questions start

1. How thick should my pool bottom be? For traditional concrete slabs, 4" is normal in my area however I'm not sure a pool bottom should follow similar standards
2. What size block is standard in cement block pools?
3. With the liner, is rebar and filled cavities a requirement?
4. rebar required in the pool bottom? Traditionally ok to use wire only around here for non structural flatwork.
5. I am planning on just doing a concrete pool deck, I am assuming I can just use a regular half round coping, and my liner will attach to that correct?

My next questions are in regard to plumbing
1. How do I go about sizing my plumbing/pump/filter system? Not sure how many skimmers/returns I need. I want to utilize a salt chlorination system.
2. How far can my pump and filter be from the pool? (where I want to put it will be about a 2' higher elevation than the pool water level)

Lastly lighting
I am thinking 2 lights would be ideal for this size pool. What are the go-to options for lighting? Seems like the options are endless. 120v vs 24v, wet vs dry niche, etc..

Just trying to get my basic ideas and design going here, not sure if it will happen this year, or (more likely at this point) next year. I have priced steel wall liner pools, and I just feel like I could do concrete block/concrete so much cheaper. I'd appreciate any help and advice. I have extensive construction experience in all trades. Are there any companies out there that provide plans/drawings for what I am looking for? I don't mind doing it without, but I'll need some design guidance along the way.

Hi there :). I'm going to refer your questions to someone who also did their own pool. @duraleigh

We would love to follow along with your build and help in any way we can. Pics most welcome!

Maddie :flower:

Reactions: Newdude
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.