Piru Queen Palms in Houston?

My biggest advice.. When they start to flower, cut those fronds off ASAP before they make fruit/nuts. Either do it yourself or hire someone. Otherwise, it becomes a daily chore of scooping flowers/nuts out of the pool and off the deck. The nuts very quickly stain spots on the bottom of the pool if not removed.

We have 6 palms right next to the pool. 4 are 20' fan palms, one is a 50'+ fan palm and the other is a 20' frond type palm. They all were put in when the pool was build 20 years ago. We moved in 3 years ago.

This year, I cut the flower fronds off as soon as they were noticeable and have greatly reduced the amount of debris in the pool and deck area. The 50' fan is too tall for me to get with my 8' pole saw, so I left it alone.

My biggest advice.. When they start to flower, cut those fronds off ASAP before they make fruit/nuts. Either do it yourself or hire someone. Otherwise, it becomes a daily chore of scooping flowers/nuts out of the pool and off the deck. The nuts very quickly stain spots on the bottom of the pool if not removed.

We have 6 palms right next to the pool. 4 are 20' fan palms, one is a 50'+ fan palm and the other is a 20' frond type palm. They all were put in when the pool was build 20 years ago. We moved in 3 years ago.

This year, I cut the flower fronds off as soon as they were noticeable and have greatly reduced the amount of debris in the pool and deck area. The 50' fan is too tall for me to get with my 8' pole saw, so I left it alone.

That is good to know. I have wondered about cutting out the "buds" and was afraid it might be detrimental to the plant. Palms are kinda weird.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.