pool702

Aug 15, 2023
Las Vegas, Nevada
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
POOL plumbing leaks. I'm tired of messing with it so it's time to redo it all. So I brought out a pool professional and got his advice and been googling ever since. He said dig up All my pipes as far as I can. That's done. He said buy a new filter. I had a 20 year old single cartridge Hayward that leaked. I got a new Hayward c4030 swim clear. I have a 1.5hp Hayward. I have a skimmer a pool drain and a sideboard that's been capped and the three returns on 1 1/2-in pipe. I was told to do it back as far as I can and change everything to 2-in. Returns and suction side. And open that cap side port up and use it for my robot vac that I currently hooked to my skimmer. I want to do it all myself so that I can afford to buy all the stuff I need. But I need some advice. The attached pic is what I got and I want to redo it all.

Attachments

• IMG20230614200528.jpg
    IMG20230614200528.jpg
    543.7 KB · Views: 20
Welcome to TFP.
Help us help you. Can you identify what each of the pipes are on your equipment pad? It appears on the suction side of your pump, there are 2 pipes, 1 for main drain and other for 1 skimmer. The 3-way valve between them controls the suction from each. Confirm which is which.

On the return side of the filter, there are 3 pipes and that one valve. There is also a 4 line that was capped. Where do each of these pipes go? Is each an independent line as a return to the pool?

What is this "a sideboard that's been capped" - is that the 4 line shown in the picture that is capped (noted above). What was it used for?

What is the type and model of your cleaner?

Also provide a wider shot of your complete equipment pad. Also a picture of the pool may help as well.

Thank for the response. Yes the suction side is the pool drain on the left and the skimmer on the right and then I have three returns and that fourth pipe is capped and that's the one I want to turn into my vacuum port. I'm not sure if the pictures It's clear enough to show that that pipe appears to be smaller than the rest of the one and a half inch pipes. So the pool has three returns one capped vacuum port one skimmer and one pool drain. There's two old solar heating pipes that I'm going to remove and the pool vacuum is the little side cleaner like the one in this pic. I will take some better pictures as soon as I remove the mud that the rain brought in. And I appreciate your response and the help Thank you

Attachments

• Screenshot_2023-07-20-18-43-19-81_303cdcd717e01b9217c0efbb290b074e.jpg
    Screenshot_2023-07-20-18-43-19-81_303cdcd717e01b9217c0efbb290b074e.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 10
  • 20221228_193855.jpg
    20221228_193855.jpg
    312.9 KB · Views: 10
Thank for the response. Yes the suction side is the pool drain on the left and the skimmer on the right and then I have three returns and that fourth pipe is capped and that's the one I want to turn into my vacuum port. I'm not sure if the pictures It's clear enough to show that that pipe appears to be smaller than the rest of the one and a half inch pipes. So the pool has three returns one capped vacuum port one skimmer and one pool drain. There's two old solar heating pipes that I'm going to remove and the pool vacuum is the little Hayward robot that runs around the bottom of the pool

Thanks for the extra photos.
I marked up the 1 for clarification.
The 3 GREEN lines are your returns. The BLUE line on that horizontal pipe goes 2 directions if that is a Tee down in the mud. Can you clarify where each end leads to?
The ORANGE line is on the capped pipe. That appears to be a connection to a pressure side booster pump that is no longer connected. Is that correct? If so where is the pipe that leads from the pool that you want to make a suction line?

I see another capped pipe in the background which I painted PURPLE. Is that the pipe that leads from the pool that you want to make a suction line?

I also drew the suction side plumbing using qty 3 2-way valves. One on each pipe makes it easy to adjust how much suction for each. So for running the suction cleaner, open that full and turn the other 2 pipes off. This would maximize suction for the cleaner.
However, until the suction line is identified, it will need to be 1.5 inch or 2 inch to properly operate. If that is a 1" or 1.25" line from the pool then that may not provide enough flow.

Lets stop there and see if this makes sense.
You do not have to dig everything up to change to 2" pipe. My pool has 2" suction on skimmer but 1.5" suction on main drain. Changing everything at the pad to 2" will help somewhat.

InkedInkedIMG_20230823_011251.jpgSuction Side with 2-way valves.jpg

Thanks for the reply. I've been sick for a few and was trying to forget everything. Lol but I do appreciate your help. So you are correct. 2 green lines were solar heating which will be eliminated. The other T's and splits into 3 pool returns. The T goes to an old pump that was connected to the 4th pool port that I wanna turn into a suction port for the pool vac. So the blue and purple were connected through a small pump. And yes to the purple being the suction I want and it is a 1.5" reduced to 1". I dug it up on the side of the pool and can go to 2" with a lil more digging.. so it would go from 1.5 to 2. That would be 3 2" pipes on suction side.