Pink cast on bottom of pool _ PINK ALGAE.??

Lrooth

LifeTime Supporter
May 13, 2012
Pittsburgh
Hi.. Thanks for helping me over my 20 years of pool ownership!

I think I have a very chlorine resistant form of pink algae. I slam, brush and pass the test and then a day later the pink haze comes back, bigger. Started with two small 6 inch areas. Yesterday, it was spread over the shallow end floor. Light colored pink haze. When I brush it, it goes away.

Started a slam last night again using cal hypo. Free Choline measured 9.6 this morning. Very light haze this morning. Water VERY Clear. What to do? Yellow Out? Is it safe to swim? (Grandchildren!) Reading pink algae is bacterial based?? Where does this come from? Thanks!

Fc. 9.6
Cc: 0
Ph. 7.6
Ta. 110
Cya 50
Ch 210

40,000 gallon painted, concreted pool
DE filter
Heated 82

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Hi.. Thanks for helping me over my 20 years of pool ownership!

I think I have a very chlorine resistant form of pink algae. I slam, brush and pass the test and then a day later the pink haze comes back, bigger. Started with two small 6 inch areas. Yesterday, it was spread over the shallow end floor. Light colored pink haze. When I brush it, it goes away.

Started a slam last night again using cal hypo. Free Choline measured 9.6 this morning. Very light haze this morning. Water VERY Clear. What to do? Yellow Out? Is it safe to swim? (Grandchildren!) Reading pink algae is bacterial based?? Where does this come from? Thanks!

Fc. 9.6
Cc: 0
Ph. 7.6
Ta. 110
Cya 50
Ch 210

40,000 gallon painted, concreted pool
DE filter
Heated 82

You posted a CYA level of 50ppm, that would make your FC shock level for the SLAM 20ppm.

Are you saying you lost 10.4ppm of FC overnight? Did you dose to get back to the proper shock level for the SLAM?

Are you following the SLAM procedure?

Pool School - SLAM - Shock Level And Maintain

What is your FC now?

Dom

My FC is 8.8 now. I did put another gallon of Clorox in about 5 hours ago when I left. I've been targeting 12-16. Should I be going for "high shock" levels tonight. Pool calculator says 29!!! I have never gone that high, even with spring opening black water!

There is only a small patch visible now. When I take a picture it isn't showing up. My pool is white and the pink is very light pink.

Again, does pink algae mean I have a pool with bacteria?

Whatever you do, be careful with the cal-hypo, for every 10ppm of FC you are also getting about 7ppm CH (depending on %).

I cannot stress it enough, that pool needs a proper SLAM. Whatever that is in there, most likely chlorine is the cure. There are 100's of threads on this forum that show TFP methods work, and work quite well.

We are also willing to help if your willing to follow our recommendations & procedures.

Dom

Lrooth

I had this issue with my pool back in 2012. I had a mild case of "Pink" algae, which is an organic bacteria. The issue took me several months to eliminate after consulting with several sources, including my local Leslie's pool store, the regional Leslie's manager, another local pool store, and searching the 'net.

My symptoms were tricky in that the pool water and appearance was perfect, no visible issue of any problem. The bacteria was causing my D.E. Filter to require a clean/backwash after only 1-2 days and in some cases, a few hours.

The only visible indication that I saw was when I removed my D.E. Filter Grid assembly and saw the pink nodules on the Grid surfaces.

After searching the 'net, I found one post somewhere where a pool owner described my symptoms perfectly and they said "I used a product to eliminate it." Unfortunately, the poster didn't provide the product information.

After more searching, I found a product called "Pink Treat" from United Chemicals. I talked to the founder of United Chemicals on the phone, describing my symptoms and asking about the product.

The product worked but there is a side effect in that it converts the pool into a Bromine pool. The product label states that it's a temporary conversion but that's not what my experience was with my pool. After waiting for 2-3 months, I ended up having to drain my pool to eliminate the Bromine pool effect.

The Bromine was blocking my FC testing but I wasn't using FAS-DPD powder at that time. I was using the "dye" test with the Taylor R-0001 & 0002 drops. If I recall, the OTO test was intermittent; sometimes it would indicate FC and sometimes not.

At this time, my local Leslie's wasn't carrying "Yellow Out" which states that it eliminates the Pink algae issue.

All of this occurred before I switched to TFP methods. What made this Pink issue tricky for me was that it occurred at about the same time I began to do my pool chemical maintenance myself after using a local service for years.

As stated by the other members, a SLAM should eliminate your issue. I used the "Pink Out" product before I had learned about the TFP pool methods. Since that time, my pool's been in cruise control.

34p1761.jpg

Lrooth said:
Reading pink algae is bacterial based?? Where does this come from?
Yes, this is correct. The pink, slimy growth that is often referred to as “Pink Algae” is technically not an algae but rather a bacterium of the genus Methylobacterium. Pigments within its cells give it its distinctive pink color. The slime formed around the bacteria provide it with a high level of protection. In this way, it shares a similar behavior to black algae. In addition to clinging to the walls of a pool, it has an affinity for PVC plastics and will attach itself to both the inside and the outside of PVC materials that are a part of, or attached to, the pool. This includes your pool’s plumbing as well as your cleaner/vacuum. Since it is a bacteria, algaecides are useless in preventing pink slime, nor will they help get rid of it.

Methylobacterium are common in soil and on surfaces of leaves and other organic matter. This is one of the reasons we often emphasize keeping your pool clear of debris, including plant debris. One species, Methylobacterium podarium, is thought to be part of the natural human foot microflora. In addition, it can be present in water in small quantities. If you have kids, it may have been introduced into the pool by them running on the grass and then getting into the pool.

The cure? Chlorine and chlorine alone, via plain unscented liquid bleach, in the proper dosage. Once you have an outbreak, the SLAM will eradicate it, but only if your properly do the SLAM. No need to use Yellow Out, or any other product for that matter, besides liquid bleach.

At about the time I discovered this forum, several pools in our neighborhood experienced this problem. Apparently, there was a slightly higher amount of this bacterium than normal in the water (but still within sanitation specs). That, combined with most people following the pool store method of pool care, were chlorinating with their pucks and maintaining FC between 1 - 3 while their CYA skyrocketed. My water had lost its normal luster and there were a few spots of pink slime. I did a partial drain & refill to get my CYA down to about 40 followed by a SLAM (we had a different name for it back then, but the process was the same). I followed the instructions to the letter and it got rid of the slime and prevented what could have been a huge outbreak. I have not had to shock/SLAM the pool since then. One of my neighbors had to do a complete drain and refill and get his pool professionally treated because it got so out of hand. He had been using pucks for years, so there's no telling how high his CYA was.

Several of us have essentially said the same thing - now it's up to you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hi all, thank you for your answers. They are truly appreciated and I will follow the slam process. I thought I had been doing it by meeting the 16 level and maintaining it. I will jump to the 20+ over the next days and see if that permanently gets rid of the pink algae.

I appreciate the educational piece on pink algae. Interesting that its source can be in the water supply, etc.
Lucy

While it is important to clear the pool up, I hope you don't start having nightmares about bacteria in general. They are present everywhere. Many are beneficial, some are neutral, and the harmful ones get picked off by your immune system. It's only when the number of harmful ones gets way out of control, usually through some sort of infection or tainted food - not normal everyday activities - that they exhibit symptoms. I most-often drink water out of the tap and growing up I drank out of garden hoses more times than I can count (and still occasionally do if it is the only water source around when I'm thirsty). I'm still here and healthy.:D

Just wanted to let you know that my pool is sparkling like never before. I raised the target and kept it there until it passed the test. I had not been hitting a high enough target. There was No need for any special algae fighting chemicals. Bleach did it. Thank you for your help.

BoDarville, I was getting a bit freaked out by the term "bacterial", so your further explanation was the perfect remedy to keep me from draining the pool!

Dom, I have a painted concrete pool. My calcium levels are real low at start up. I add buckets of calcium hardness increaser and still just get to 200. If I have calcium hypo on hand, I use it as an alternate to bleach.

Again, thank you all. Appreciate you setting me straight and helping me keep my pool fun and beautiful!

Just wanted to let you know that my pool is sparkling like never before. I raised the target and kept it there until it passed the test. I had not been hitting a high enough target. There was No need for any special algae fighting chemicals. Bleach did it. Thank you for your help.

BoDarville, I was getting a bit freaked out by the term "bacterial", so your further explanation was the perfect remedy to keep me from draining the pool!

Dom, I have a painted concrete pool. My calcium levels are real low at start up. I add buckets of calcium hardness increaser and still just get to 200. If I have calcium hypo on hand, I use it as an alternate to bleach.

Again, thank you all. Appreciate you setting me straight and helping me keep my pool fun and beautiful!
So glad to hear this. I still stare at my pool in amazement of how clear it is, and how it sparkles.

I have very soft fill water (CH 20pom) and open the pool with cal-hypo for the same reason. By the time my local OSJL stocks 12.5% I'm up to a CH of 50-60ppm or so when I change over to liquid chlorine. By the end of the season I'm back down to 20-30ppm from all the top offs.

Best of luck with the pool, go enjoy it remembering that we are always here to help.

Dom

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.