Pinhole in Exterior Wall

Sjdvn2

Jun 18, 2020
Michigan
Hello all. Longtime lurker and have been very appreciative of all the info I've come across here.

I have an old Esther Williams 24' round pool. It was purchased by my parents when I was in middle school and we installed it back then (dad was a contractor). I've since bought our old house and have been lucky enough to have my kids play in the pool I helped build as a kid.

Nostalgia aside, my heart sank the other day when I was brushing around the water line. I found a hole near the top of the liner by the skimmer - We just replaced the liner a couple years ago, so I was disappointed, but it's certainly repairable. I also found a second hole on the opposite side of the pool on the exterior wall. As I was brushing, I noticed a tiny pinhole leaking water out of the wall, but only when I brushed 'into' the hole.

When we replaced the liner, the inside of the walls were in great shape. No rust or problem areas. I think the exterior hole is from a rogue rock from the mower or weed whip. My thought is that because we now have a beaded liner (original was an overlap), there's a bit of an air pocket above the water line, which is where the water is entering at the small hole near the skimmer. I think as I'm brushing at the water line, there is a bubble of air/water that makes it to the exterior pinhole.

I obviously need to patch the small hole on the skimmer side, but I'm wondering if I need to do anything more. There's water behind the liner...Do I try to drop the water below the hole and see if I can suck water out of the liner with a wet vac, similiar to how we sucked the liner to the wall when installing it? On the pinhole side, It's very tiny. I feel like if I get the water out from between the liner and pool wall, I could leave that until the next liner is put in. I'm assuming it's going to be important to get the water out of contact with the interior wall, behind the liner.

Look forward to hearing some feedback on my dilemma!

If you patch the holes in the liner the water should flow should stop & the water ought to dry up eventually.
Are you going to attempt to repair the holes in the wall?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.