Phosphates off the charts other weird readings not sure how to proceed

Stylez78

Apr 16, 2023
Long Island, NY
So since I just got my pool, I was using the pool math calculator (I should have read about the SLAM process) but since my water was new from the hose, I never tested the initial water but I recall having this issue last year with my intex pool. I am waiting on my test kit to arrive, so I decided to take advantage and use the free test at Leslies so I can see where I am at and what I need to do.

So May 8th I added 1 gallon of 10% LC. May 9th I tested water and FC was around 1.1 CYA was only 5 alkalinity was low think it was 20 and PH was 7.2 and Phosphates were 2000
Today May 13th I tested water again, FC is 0.09 and TC is .5 (this is my fault forgot to add more LC got busy with other projects) Since the last time I added 3lbs of CYA and about 3lbs of Alkalinity up. My new test came back: PH 7.8, Alkalinity 65, CYA 15, and Phosphates are now 4000.

I don't have any leaves or trees near by by this stupid little whispy fly from somewhere and still get into the pool. I have emptied the skimmer basket each day and skimmed the pool. Waiting on my pool vac to get here but the bottom looks pretty clear of debris to be honest. My PH being at the top end I didn't want to add any more to up the alkalinity so figured to just focus on CYA and FC at this point and address the Phosphate reading.

I added 3.5 lbs of CYA today (according to pool math) after the test hoping this gets me to 40.
Pool math said to add 58oz of 10% LC to get to 3 ppm. however last time I add 1 gallon this same LC it only got my FC to 1.1. So I added 1 gallon of the same 10% LC again tonight. I suspect the 4000 ppb phosphate reading is eating up all the chlorine and I probably will need to added even more LC tomorrow.

So what do I do about this phosphate reading? I do have that nophos stuff that leslies sells from last year where I had this problem with my intex pool. I remember when I used it after 24 hours it gunked up my cartridge filter but good. It worked though but I figured I should ask here first and see what I should do before proceeding any further. Any help is appreciated.

Phosphate does not eat up chlorine.

Algae eats up chlorine. If you have an algae free pool then phosphates do not matter.

Get your test kit, do a Overnight Chlorine Loss Test, and then probably SLAM Process

I appreciate that advice. Waiting on the test kit to arrive, should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm going to get the CYA up to 30-40 and follow the SLAM process and see if I can get things balanced.

Reactions: mknauss
I appreciate that advice. Waiting on the test kit to arrive, should be here Monday or Tuesday. I'm going to get the CYA up to 30-40 and follow the SLAM process and see if I can get things balanced.
Don’t do anything based on the free pool store test. Only add liquid chlorine. The free tests are a “get what you pay for” kinda quality, not very good.

Reactions: Mdragger88
I just want to confirm I am interpreting things correctly. Since I won't rely on the pool store test and waiting for my kit I just want to stick to LC treatments as suggested

My last CYA reading this morning was 38 so going off that for now. My FC is 5.9 and TC is 6.32. According to pool math calculator my shock level should be a FC of 15? Doing the slam process I should keep it at 15 daily until I pass the 3 criteria and then I should aim to keep my FC around 7ppm with the lowest I'd want being 3 ppm? Is this correct?

Is this correct?
You have the correct idea, but a couple things at this point:
1 - Don't try to actually start the SLAM Process until you have the proper test kit. No guesswork.
2 - Don't try to split the CYA/FC numbers. When you test your own CYA, if it's midway between 30-40, just call it 40 and use 16 as the SLAM level.

For now, only add about 5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine to hold you over until you get the test kit. You can brush and vacuum as needed to keep material off the walls and floor. With accurate numbers, the SLAM will be much more efficient.

You have the correct idea, but a couple things at this point:
1 - Don't try to actually start the SLAM Process until you have the proper test kit. No guesswork.
2 - Don't try to split the CYA/FC numbers. When you test your own CYA, if it's midway between 30-40, just call it 40 and use 16 as the SLAM level.

For now, only add about 5 ppm worth of liquid chlorine to hold you over until you get the test kit. You can brush and vacuum as needed to keep material off the walls and floor. With accurate numbers, the SLAM will be much more efficient.
Okay that makes sense, to get what 5ppm would be am I just going off the generic # based in pool math with what my current CYA test said from the pool store?

So for example if say I round CYA to 40 based on test and I set FC to 0 and I want target to be 5 using 12.5% chlorine it says I should add 77 oz. If I add that daily is there any chance I may send chlorine levels too high or is that not something to worry about right now?

In the APP, look for the Effects of Adding in the menu. You select your type of chlorination and add an amount. It will tell you how much the FC will go up.

Once your are well balanced with no algae, you can expect to feed your pool about 2-4 ppm of chlorine each day. It's a normal part of a pool's diet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
In the APP, look for the Effects of Adding in the menu. You select your type of chlorination and add an amount. It will tell you how much the FC will go up.

Once your are well balanced with no algae, you can expect to feed your pool about 2-4 ppm of chlorine each day. It's a normal part of a pool's diet.
Thanks! Yeah that portion of the app said 77 oz was 5ppm, also depends if my chlorine is truly 12.5 since the stock date on it was 3 weeks ago. Still it should be close enough to get me through.

2-4ppm per day that like 1 gallon of 12.5 every 2 days so roughly 4 gallon a week for me. So i'm looking about $400-$500 for chlorine in a season. So I guess the SWCG at $1500 is making some sense...lol

Reactions: Texas Splash
2-4ppm per day that like 1 gallon of 12.5 every 2 days so roughly 4 gallon a week for me. So i'm looking about $400-$500 for chlorine in a season. So I guess the SWCG at $1500 is making some sense...lol
We Did It Ghosts GIF by CBS

So for example if say I round CYA to 40 based on test and I set FC to 0 and I want target to be 5 using 12.5% chlorine it says I should add 77 oz. If I add that daily is there any chance I may send chlorine levels too high or is that not something to worry about right now?
Think of chlorine like money - You don’t hear people complaining about too much!

It’s hard to end up with enough chlorine to be over SLAM levels, accidentally.

The biggest lesson from TFP methods is making sure your FC stays above minimum in the FC/CYA relationship.

So my test kit came in today got the K-2600C and magnetic stir. Here is what results I got.

PH 7.5
TA 100
FC 7ppm
CC .5ppm

I just did this test now and I did not add any chlorine at all today. I also did my fas-dpd with 10ml not 25ml so the cc might be less than .5 because it was really hard to tell if there even was a shade of pink.

So I assume I should do the overnight loss test tomorrow morning should I use the same 10ml sample as tonight or a25ml sample test? Would I'd be looking to see how much FC I have compared to tonight?

Use the 10 ML sample for all your FC tests.

If your FC is at least 6 you pass the OCLT.

CC of 0.5 is normal. CC of over 1 indicates a possible algae problem.

So I assume I should do the overnight loss test tomorrow morning should I use the same 10ml sample as tonight or a25ml sample test? Would I'd be looking to see how much FC I have compared to tonight?
Yes, but you must do test tonight after sunset. It is too early. And in the morning needs to be before sunrise.

So my test kit came in today got the K-2600C and magnetic stir. Here is what results I got.

PH 7.5
TA 100
FC 7ppm
CC .5ppm

I just did this test now and I did not add any chlorine at all today. I also did my fas-dpd with 10ml not 25ml so the cc might be less than .5 because it was really hard to tell if there even was a shade of pink.

If it was dark when you took that measurement yes. If not, test again after dark & then do the next test before sunrise. The difference between the two should be 1ppm or less if it’s more then it’s
SLAM Process time

Thanks for the replies.

So when I did the test it was about 7:30. 1/2 hour before sunset. I also did my FC test this morning at 6:45, a little over an hour after sunrise.

My FC this morning is 6ppm.

So I can assume even with a little sun light last night and little over an hours worth this morning I still loss FC in the acceptable range means I am good and I can just maintain going forward?

Thanks for the replies.

So when I did the test it was about 7:30. 1/2 hour before sunset. I also did my FC test this morning at 6:45, a little over an hour after sunrise.

So I can assume even with a little sun light last night and little over an hours worth this morning I still loss FC in the acceptable range means I am good and I can just maintain going forward?
1684496779280.gif

Thanks for the replies.

Yup 👍🏻 aim for high target 🎯 for your cya
FC/CYA Levels
& be sure to replenish before falling to minimum. Playing kissy face with minimum really has no upsides so avoid that.
As mentioned earlier the average pool eats 2-5ppm of fc per day depending upon the season and climate so you must test & feed it often. Testing fc daily at first will help you learn how your pool behaves.
If you used the sock method for adding cya (recommended) you should be able to test that today. Otherwise it could take a week to fully register.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.