South Carolina
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite (T-15)
i’ve heard conflicting things here. my pool store swears that phosphates are evil and i need to spend a bunch of money on products like no phos. it’s a huge pain, because after treatment i need to clean my cartridge filters, then they tell me to use perfect weekly to keep them down.

if my other pool chemistry is in a good place do phosphates matter? is this just a scheme to squeeze more money out of pool owners?

In the majority of cases and scenarios, it is not an important item to monitor. Maintaining the proper FC level for your CYA as noted on the FC/CYA Levels will keep your water clean and clear. For those who chose to manage phosphates, we recommend the following article.

Phosphates levels do not matter if you maintain the correct FC for your CYA level.

If you are a Pool Store customer and manage your water chemistry with Pool Store methods then you probably don't have the correct FC or CYA and phosphates may matter.

Follow TFPC methods and phosphates will not matter for you.

If you are a Pool Store customer and manage your water chemistry with Pool Store methods then you probably don't have the correct FC or CYA and phosphates may matter.
+1. Everyone questions if phosphates matters while very few question *why* they do or don't matter.

The sun is burning off 3 or 4 ppm FC per *day* for all of us in the peak season right now. The pool store / industry advice of running 1 to 3 ppm FC is the problem, not the phosphates. Phosphates will matter by the end of the day if you start at 3ppm or less.

Reactions: bevcardinal
Phosphates = algae food
No algae = no need to worry about their food

That’s kinda how I think of it…..
Me too.

My analogy is if you have a rodent problem and call an exterminator. The exterminator walks in your house, throws away all of the food in your kitchen, does nothing else and hand you a bill. Throwing away the food might help a bit, but it does nothing to directly kill or prevent the rodents and is a big inconvenience to you.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.