Phosphates 2535 according to Pool Store.

Ahshort

Jun 3, 2022
Moses Lake, Wa
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Phosphates @ 2535 according to pool store. Say I need remover and to clean filter cartridges 3 x day which sounds horrible. Also say that none of the other tests are reliable with that high if phosphates. My water feels ‘sticky’ could that be from high phosphates? Help please.

full

• Haha
Reactions: clambert1273
There's so much wrong with those pool store comments it's difficult to begin. Simply I'll add:
- Phosphates are generally irrelevant for the majority of pool owners. Controlling them at all is only needed in some rare situations, not daily/weekly maintenance.
- Chlorine is always your #1 preferred chemical for algae control.
- In cases where a PR is recommended, do not buy the products sold at the local poll store. They are watered down.
- Your basic pool store test parameters are not effected by phosphates.

In short, stick with TFP guidance from the Pool Care Basics. The pool store wil only confuse you and try to sell you products.

K well I ordered a Taylor phosphate test so will see what it says when it gets here. Taylor 2006 tests today have me at
FC 6.5
CC. 0
PH 7.2
TA 70
CYA 40
CH 200
Pool store said
FC 0.7 (?!)
Total Chlorine 0.8
PH 7.2
TA 73
CYA 35
CH 150
I questioned the FC, was told that with high phosphate level the readings would be unreliable.
I asked for salt level was told ifits a chlorine pool and I haven’t put any in well then it’s zero. When I told them I was adding salt to my chlorine pool for better water feel they looked at me like I had 3 heads. Also told me my filters need cleaning b/c test said I had poor filtration. I changed my filters 4 days ago. So I think I’ll wait on the Taylor test before I trust their phosphate reading.
But, could high phosphates contribute to the feel of the water? I’m noticing a kinda sticky feeling. Which is why I’m headed to buy some salt, see what happens.

I questioned the FC, was told that with high phosphate level the readings would be unreliable.
Oh my. Incorrect.

I asked for salt level was told ifits a chlorine pool and I haven’t put any in well then it’s zero.
Ha ha ha! Incorrect again. At least they are consistently wrong. :)

could high phosphates contribute to the feel of the water?
I doubt it. Those test numbers above, the first set, are yours correct? If so, they look very good. No red flags at all. So if those are your test numbers and the water is clear, I would simply ignore all the poor advice from the pool store and enjoy your pool. If you have any doubts about the water sanitation or potential for algae, you can always do an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test.

I asked for salt level was told ifits a chlorine pool and I haven’t put any in well then it’s zero.
That's because to them, they don't have sodium hyperchlorite. They have pure liquid pool shock, which is like, 99% chlorine. (My 30 year GC looked me dead in the eyes and said so with conviction. I bet him a paycheck otherwise)

However, here in the real world, you know they sell 12.5 % sodium hyperchlorite and each jug adds 13 ppm salt for you.

Screenshot_20230515_174502.jpg

Take *anything* else they tell you with a 40 lb bag of salt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.