Florida
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi everyone. I’ve gotten comfortable testing my own water. My pool has been crystal clear since coming here and learning, beautiful even!

The past 4 days we’ve not had any rain where I am in Florida. However, before this stretch we had rain for 10 days straight! Bad thunderstorms daily. I don’t know if this has anything to do with my question or not. It’s also been very hot.

I notice my ph wants to stay around 7.8. It will rise above this after a few days of rain.

Whenever I lower it to 7.5, by the next day, rain or not, it’s back to 7.8. I know 7.8 isn’t an issue. I’m just wondering why it wants to be 7.8 and not stay at 7.5.

Today my readings are

FC: 6.5
CYA: 80
TA: 80
PH: 7.8

I see. Thank you. Also, TA of 50 or higher means leave it alone correct? If my TA lowered to 60 let’s say, seeing this difference doesn’t mean add baking soda? Only do so if it were to drop below 50?

Also, TA of 50 or higher means leave it alone correct?

Correct.

If my TA lowered to 60 let’s say, seeing this difference doesn’t mean add baking soda?

Correct.

Only do so if it were to drop below 50?

Even if it dropped below 50 I would not add baking soda immediately but monitor pH and TA for a few days and see if the TA rises and what the pH does. If the pH is stable then the TA is fine.

Reactions: Macyc
I see. This makes sense. And my last question is….. now that it’s warmer, my pool gets direct sunlight most of the day. It’s exceptionally hot from the direct sun on the river as well. My chlorine level prior to the mid 90 weather would maintain 8 ppm. Now it’s around 5-6.5. Is this the new norm from the heat and sun combo? Should I increase swg or leave it alone?

What is your CYA?

What SWG do you have?

Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

I see it up there. I have a pentair intelichlor-ic 40.

My CYA is currently 75-80

25,000 gal pool.

I run the pump for 12 hours a day. And currently have the swg set at 50 percent. It was running at 45 percent but when we were getting all that rain, I turned it up and have kept it there.

You are adding 1.7 ppm FC per day. I would suspect that is way too low in Florida, unless this pool is in screen enclosure.
Change the % generation to 90% and see if the FC holds in your target for your CYA.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.