San Antonio, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
CircuPool RJ-45 Plus
I just installed a SWG (Circupool RJ45) I have not started it up yet, as I just took the leaf cover off and getting the salt where it needs to be. I have a few questions.

1) how important is pH level when using a SWG? I always have high pH because of where I am. I maintain it decently well, but not all the time (with acid at 9 bucks a bottle, not helping me....) Do i need to be very diligent about pH levels with the SWG?

2) does pH have an affect on the salt readings? I measured my salt yesterday and it said it was 3000 PPM. I have never added salt directly. I know there is salt in the LC i have been putting in. I am kind of excited because I only need to add a little salt to get where I need to be for my SWG.

TIA!

Paul

how important is pH level when using a SWG?
Don't let it get over 7.8, especially in the summer when our water temps are higher (scale)

I measured my salt yesterday and it said it was 3000 PPM. I have never added salt directly.
Very common. Salt is a by product from many other chemicals. Good you checked.

does pH have an affect on the salt readings?
No. Salt readings can vary a bit, but the Taylor K-1766 is the most reliable. In the end, as long as your module has a good salt level reading you should be fine.

Don't let it get over 7.8, especially in the summer when our water temps are higher (scale)

Very common. Salt is a by product from many other chemicals. Good you checked.

No. Salt readings can vary a bit, but the Taylor K-1766 is the most reliable. In the end, as long as your module has a good salt level reading you should be fine.
Thanks Pat. I had to add 2 jugs of MA to get it down. I'll maintain it. Also re-measured salt with the Taylor K-1766. Same as yesterday. 17 drops to get to Salmon! so I am at 3400. You think I should add salt? Book says 3500, or between 3000-4000. Maybe add a bag or two?

You think I should add salt?
No, I'd leave it alone for now. We can never really get too specific with salt, it's just one of those items with a fairly wide testing variance of anywhere from 200-400 ppm. As long as you're anywhere in the 3,000 - 4,000 range you should be fine. Personally, I like to see my salt readings somewhere in the 3,200 - 3,700 range. Don't expect your module and the K-1766 to match. Mine vary by 200-400 ppm.

No, I'd leave it alone for now. We can never really get too specific with salt, it's just one of those items with a fairly wide testing variance of anywhere from 200-400 ppm. As long as you're anywhere in the 3,000 - 4,000 range you should be fine. Personally, I like to see my salt readings somewhere in the 3,200 - 3,700 range. Don't expect your module and the K-1766 to match. Mine vary by 200-400 ppm.
OK, so i started her up! i set it at 50% to see how that works. The salinity reading on the unit says 2670. that is a variance of 800.

what level are you at?

what level are you at?
Last I checked my module was at about 3,200 and my K-1766 was about 3,600. Watch your module throughout the weekend. If it gets much lower it may throw a low salt red light and you might need to add a bag of salt.

Like Pat said keep it below 7.8 but don’t drive yourself nuts trying to keep it at 7.5 for example. If you do you will be adding acid all the time like I did.
I finally let me keep going up and mine seemed to like to stay around 7.6.
I let mine drift up and just add a little out of the jug every 2 weeks

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Paul,

Something is not right.. 2 Gallons of 31% MA would drop your pH by 4.0 ppm So a pH of 8.2 would go down to 4.2.. (Not sure that is even possible :scratch: )

How low are you reducing it? What are you using to measure your pH?

Thanks,

Jim R.
it was well north of 8.2.. tf100 dark red. i did not add any acid all winter.

i hooked the SWG to my old intermatc timer to control the timing. ends up dang thing does not work. Manual says its ok to use flow valve to control generation. you guys trust it? am i ok leaving SWG on at all times, and let flow valve control generation?

Manual says its ok to use flow valve to control generation. you guys trust it?
No. The flow switch is a safety measure only. Unless your pump runs 24/7, you need to have a way to ensure power is not applied to the module/SWG when the pump is off.

i hooked the SWG to my old intermatc timer to control the timing. ends up dang thing does not work.
If your intermatic timer has been non-op for a while then with the power off manipulate the rear gear gently through the view hole near the top of the unit. Spray a small amount of lube on the gears and power it up to check before you give up on it.

Reactions: markayash
No. The flow switch is a safety measure only. Unless your pump runs 24/7, you need to have a way to ensure power is not applied to the module/SWG when the pump is off.
Thanks Pat. I have two timers over there. of course i used the one that is broken. nothing a little rewiring cant fix!

Question again if i can. just trying to zero in on SWG runtime. You have same SWG and similar size pool as mine. I think you are in full sun, and I am partial. How long do you run your SWG and at what percent?

How long do you run your SWG and at what percent?
Correct. Full sun out here in the country near eastbound IH-10. Currently my SWG is set at 25% (maybe 20%), I have to look. I know it's currently low. But I run my pump 24/7. If you have your pump set on a timer to run, as an example 12hrs, then you would need to increase the SWG output to make-up for the less run time. Shade also works in your favor though. :)

Reactions: markayash
Correct. Full sun out here in the country near eastbound IH-10. Currently my SWG is set at 25% (maybe 20%), I have to look. I know it's currently low. But I run my pump 24/7. If you have your pump set on a timer to run, as an example 12hrs, then you would need to increase the SWG output to make-up for the less run time. Shade also works in your favor though. :)
I drive right by you all the time!

Thanks for that info. One more thing....i just went out to check out the SWG, and the Generate light was off. No other light was on. Pump is running (has flow) I noticed the Sailinity reading said 0000PPM. this is wierd. It is well over 3000. And the low salt light is not on.

I turned it off and back on, and now it's fine....Will have to see if it happens again.

Last edited:
Paul, the generate (green) light will be off and all menu readings will show as zero when the unit is resting (not actively producing chlorine). When the Generate light is on, then press your menu button and you should see all the individual levels. Mine cycles on & off about every 1 - 1.5 hrs or so.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.