pH jumping around

May 9, 2015
Southern TN
So, my pH will NOT stay balanced this year! Last week it was way high. Reduced it with acid and now we are high again. TA is steady. My jets are making just ripples, I wouldn't say they are breaking the surface at all. I have never had problems with my pH until this year with all this stinking rain. I know there isn't a relation there, but...

*** Is my TA not high enough to keep my pH stable?
***Is it the rippled water? I hope not. A pool with no breakage of the surface just looks so ugly out there.

8:30 a.m.
CYA 40 (disappeared between 40 and 30 so calling it 40)
FC 6.5
CC 0
pH 8+
TA 50 (turned the weird, in-between color at 5 drops , then fully red at 60)
Calcium 10

Actually there can be a relation to rain. Rain hitting the surface of the pool causes aeration. And yes, if the jets are making any water movement, they are creating aeration.

TA is as low as you want to go. Plan to raise it to 70 ppm with baking soda. Only lower pH to 7.6.

Reactions: lindz18
Actually there can be a relation to rain. Rain hitting the surface of the pool causes aeration. And yes, if the jets are making any water movement, they are creating aeration.

TA is as low as you want to go. Plan to raise it to 70 ppm with baking soda. Only lower pH to 7.6.

Do you consider when the color changes from green to that first tint the actual red , or do you quit when it completely turns red? This would be the difference between 50 and 60 to me and a big variation in how much baking soda to add.

The TA test endpoint is when the drop doesn't make any more changes. I usually go one drop extra just to be sure it doesn't keep changing, and then discount that drop if it didn't.

Reactions: mknauss
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.