mfifield01

May 11, 2022
Bee Cave, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
To start, my PB and pebble company (NPT) ask for monthly testing of the pool. I take the water in once a month to Leslie's, since it is close and free. Last weekend, I noticed that Leslie's had my pH at 7.2 and I thought it seemed low and chalked it up to their testing. On to my testing. A while back I bought the Taylor 9056 and 2 oz. refill kits for daily testing. I use the K-2006 about once a week. Today, I decided to compare pH with both methods. With the K-2006, I was about 7.6. With the 9056 and 2 oz. refill, I was at 7.8. My only thought is that the R-0004 in the K-2006 is .75 oz., so it might have smaller drops. Has anyone seen anything similar? Both R-0004 are within their expiration dates.

The drop sizes should be the same, but is it possible you're squeezing harder (due to bottle size, fullness, or stiffness) or using a different angle with one of them? Bottles should be fully vertical, squeezing so gently that each drop forms and falls on its own. You can also swap the nozzles to see if it makes a difference (they just pop off and are interchangeable between the smaller and larger bottles). And just to cross-check, you can use both reagents with both comparators -- they should be identical, but I could imagine some residue or something making a difference. Most importantly, report back with your results because we like a good science experiment here!

7.6 vs 7.8 is within the margin of error and is really no different.

I would not worry about it.

My only thought is that the R-0004 in the K-2006 is .75 oz., so it might have smaller drops.

Drop size does not affect the results of the pH test. You can see this by testing with 4 drops, 5 drops, 6 drops -- every drop turns the same color; more drops just makes the color more vivid and easier to see.

With the K-2006, I was about 7.6. With the 9056 and 2 oz. refill, I was at 7.8.
The tests only list .2 increments. A 7.7 would make them both right.

Even if you're off by .2, possibly from poor lighting (etc), no harm will ever come from it. If you dose a few days early, your punishment is that next time comes quicker also. If you dose a few days late, it's no concern either because problems take months (maybe longer) to arise.

Do the best you can and you'll guess right more often than you don't.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.