Mar 5, 2017
Lakeville, MN
Pool Size
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Intex Krystal Clear
Hi All,

After installing my SWG, I've noticed it takes much more muriatic acid to keep my pH in check. I believe this is normal, but is there a way to tell the PoolMath calculcator to account for SWG when calculating the amounts? Doing what PoolMath says doesn't even make a dent in my pH.

Thanks,
Dan

Hmm.. I haven't measured TA in a while but I'd guess it is probably higher than normal. Would that make pH more difficult to lower? I guess I just assumed the muriatic acid would lower both. I'm trying to get to 7.6.

24ft round. I have the dimensions/gallons punched into PoolMath.

15k gallons. I would add what poolmath suggests. Measure again in 30 minutes and keep going through poolmath adding more acid to see where you end up. The ends of the scale are harder to read accurately. Also consider an electronic pH meter. I usually look for an orange tint to know I am where I want to be.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Since the SWG aerates, if I keep adding MA will the TA eventually get low enough so pH doesn't keep rising?

The SWG does not aerate. Waterfalls do. You can add acid to bring it down to around 7 then aerate it back up and repeat which lowers the T/A. I did this a couple years ago it is a long process but I ended up lowering my T/A by around 20. Basically you are pre-loading the acid. I add a gallon of acid per week in season it is not really a big deal just one of the maintenance tasks.

Reactions: lagman
The SWG does not aerate. Waterfalls do. You can add acid to bring it down to around 7 then aerate it back up and repeat which lowers the T/A. I did this a couple years ago it is a long process but I ended up lowering my T/A by around 20. Basically you are pre-loading the acid. I add a gallon of acid per week in season it is not really a big deal just one of the maintenance tasks.
FYI this is why I was thinking SWGs aerate: Lower Total Alkalinity

1684946785422.png

• Wow
Reactions: PoolGate
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.