pH and TA question

old_monk

Mar 28, 2024
Raleigh
Please see my PoolMath logs, I just finished 28 day new plaster startup this week.

One issue, I was away on work trip and PB sent someone to put the spa light. They couldn't snake it due to some obstruction and put MA in the conduit to dissolve the debris. It worked but they then also dumped some baking soda in the spa. This has raised the TA as you can see in the logs. I kept it around 80-90 during 28 days and is now at 120.

My plan is to add MA to target 7.4 pH and let it adjust over time. Is that the right course? Try something else?
thanks!

Your plan is fine. Lower your pH and your TA will drop over time.

Reactions: old_monk
Thanks! I just realized the test I have shows 7.2 and 7.5 on the scale and the color difference is very subtle. Is there some pH test available that shows more granular pH levels preferably a drop test like we have for chlorine?
No

A precise number does not matter.

Get used to close enough.

Reactions: old_monk
Is there some pH test available that shows more granular pH levels preferably a drop test like we have for chlorine?

Two additional techniques for the pH test:

1. Try holding the block sideways or upside down. Sometimes that helps distinguish colors better. I also use two old hotel keycards to mask off areas and narrow down my decision.

2. To get a consistent backlight, hold the block in front of your computer monitor with a blank white screen displayed (I use Google's homepage).

Two additional techniques for the pH test:

1. Try holding the block sideways or upside down. Sometimes that helps distinguish colors better. I also use two old hotel keycards to mask off areas and narrow down my decision.

2. To get a consistent backlight, hold the block in front of your computer monitor with a blank white screen displayed (I use Google's homepage).
Thanks! I do the same trick of using it sideways so that solution spreads over the whole range.

Last edited: