PH always 80+

desmondlewissmith

Bronze Supporter
Oct 17, 2016
Allen, TX
My pool is two years old now. It's a chlorine pool, around 31000 gallons. When it was first installed, I was told the PH would be high for around a year; no problem, I've been adding muriatic acid to lower down closer to 7.4. My question is, why would my PH still be reading high and requiring so much muriatic acid two years later? Is this normal?

Desmond,

I suspect that you are constantly running your water features, like your spa spillover..

How are you chlorinating your pool? If you are using your Inline tablet feeder, then I am surprised that your pH is high also..

It takes much more MA to keep your pH at 7.2 than it does to keep it closer to 7.8...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Alkalinity is typically around 80, water features (three sheer descents and two 12" spills coming from Hot Tub are always on). I do use the in-line chlorinator. I don't mind so much adding acid, just want to make sure there isn't an underlying problem.

- - - Updated - - -

The reason I was shooting more for 7.2 is because the eyes are typically 7.4 so I figured it was less impact on the eyes.

I have the same issue, my pool is 1 year old.

My spa inlets create a lot of bubbles and as well as the spa spill over, I have two bubblers on the lounge deck so I think high Ph will be something have to live with.

A major factor in eye irritation in your pool is from the salinity difference. A pH of 7.2-8.0 will fine fine for the eyes.

Your pH rises so fast because you're running all of those features, aerating the water. Other than a brief run each day to sanitize the lines, your best bet if you'd like to reduce pH rise would be to limit usage of those features to when you're outside enjoying your pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.