Ph & Alkalinity Testing After Slam/Shock

Hello! Welcome to TFP.
How are you testing your water? Home kit (if so, which one?) or Pool Store test?
High chlorine levels over 10ppm will invalidate a pH reading. It tends to make the reading "high" but don't act on that.
I don't believe chlorine levels affect the alkalinity test.
The first step in our SLAM process is to lower the pH to around 7.2, so that you won't have to deal with lowering during the SLAM.

As to your mention of "shocking".....what do you mean by that? What are you using and in what quantity? We don't do a "one time dose" of anything and consider that a cure for algae. We here at TFP understand that its a process of raising the FC level to a point (based on CYA level) and maintaining that level until all evidence of algae is gone.
SLAM Process

Waiting to hear back from you...

Maddie :flower:

Welcome! :wave: Along with Maddie's questions and comments above, I'll will add that if you are using a proper test kit (i.e. TF-Series or Taylor K-2006C), and you know for sure your FC level is very high (i.e. SLAM level high), then the TA can be effected a bit. In that case, adding an addition drop or two of the R-0007 above the normal 2-drop standard amount helps to counter the high chlorine.= during that test.

Hello! Welcome to TFP.
How are you testing your water? Home kit (if so, which one?) or Pool Store test?
High chlorine levels over 10ppm will invalidate a pH reading. It tends to make the reading "high" but don't act on that.
I don't believe chlorine levels affect the alkalinity test.
The first step in our SLAM process is to lower the pH to around 7.2, so that you won't have to deal with lowering during the SLAM.

As to your mention of "shocking".....what do you mean by that? What are you using and in what quantity? We don't do a "one time dose" of anything and consider that a cure for algae. We here at TFP understand that its a process of raising the FC level to a point (based on CYA level) and maintaining that level until all evidence of algae is gone.
SLAM Process

Waiting to hear back from you...

Maddie :flower:
Hi and thanks for responding. I have been following all of your guidelines closely and testing myself with Taylor kits. I did lower PH prior to slamming/shocking and have been maintaining recommended high FC level for 3 days. My CYA was 50 before shocking,. Things have cleared nicely, but my CC level is still above .5; Just trying to determine when PH test will return accurate results so I can get back to normal maintenance. Is there a maximum FC reading I should wait for?

Hi and thanks for responding. I have been following all of your guidelines closely and testing myself with Taylor kits. I did lower PH prior to slamming/shocking and have been maintaining recommended high FC level for 3 days. My CYA was 50 before shocking,. Things have cleared nicely, but my CC level is still above .5; Just trying to determine when PH test will return accurate results so I can get back to normal maintenance. Is there a maximum FC reading I should wait for?
I began slam with granulated shock but am now using 10.5% Liquid chlorine to maintain SLAM level and have been maintaining FC of 20 ppm.

Just to clarify - the pH test will not get you back to "normal maintenance". Getting the CC to 0.5 or less, and meeting the other End-of-SLAM criteria will get you back. :cool:

Reactions: dimammy
So, I need to continue SLAM at recommended FC of 20 until CC below .5? Then once achieved I shouldn't test PH until FC drops below 10? Is that correct?

Technically yes, having a CC of 0.5 or less of part of the slam completion. What I would say though is to consider your weather. If it's been cloudy, that with shorter days reduces the time the sun can oxidize those CCs. If you're water is crystal clear and you post the OCLT, you're probably good, but give it another day or so to be safe.

Reactions: dimammy

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.