Pesky flying ants

mepcards

Sep 15, 2015
mesquite,tx
Anyone else have problems with the flying ants that will fly into the pool? Ill scoop from the top daily, and the dead ones will eventually sink to the bottom. Most ofthem I can vacuum up, and are caught in the skimmer basket, but im seeing some getting through, and coming right back out the return jet....Ill need to get some kind of skimmer sock, for they are just small enough to get a few to slip through the basket...Very Annoying after you completed vacuuming, and minutes later, more are already at bottom of pool..

Yes,
here in NC we have had them, too for a few days now. I refuse to swim . I do not want to get bit!
Anyone else have problems with the flying ants that will fly into the pool? Ill scoop from the top daily, and the dead ones will eventually sink to the bottom. Most ofthem I can vacuum up, and are caught in the skimmer basket, but im seeing some getting through, and coming right back out the return jet....Ill need to get some kind of skimmer sock, for they are just small enough to get a few to slip through the basket...Very Annoying after you completed vacuuming, and minutes later, more are already at bottom of pool..

Ive been bitten lots of times this spring. It doesn't hurt much, not at all like a fire ant bite. It just barely stings and leaves no mark. But, I am starting to see weird things in the shadows ...

Have you thought about just leaving your pool open? With a 2 speed pump you can run it a couple hours a day for cheap and add bleach once every week or two or three. It really isn't much trouble to leave the pool open for winter here. I run my FC up to 12ish and let it drop to 8ish, check the pH and add another jug of bleach, which adds 4 ppm FC to the pool. The colder it gets the longer 4 ppm of FC lasts.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I did leave it up all year, and ran the pump like 4hrs a day on timer..Added bleach like I was suppose to, and actually checked numbers 2-3 times a week...Everything has been on point, so baffled why I got the algae....I even took wedding cake stairs out at end of the season, just so I could avoid any blooms....Its been the past two years having this issue...Ive been on slam since last Friday...Water is clear, and can see a dime at the bottom if you put it in the pool....Everyday in the same spots on both sides of pool you see on bottom dead algae...I was under the impression the algae was growing in those same spots, but was corrected, for ive been scrubbing same spots like crazy, but reappear again....Frustrating

- - - Updated - - -

I am going to purchase a skimmer sock just to make sure im just not putting it back into the pool

Ditto on the flying ants. Use a hair net in the skimmer. I pulled and cleaned my cartridge filter the other day and did not see one bug (unless they were already mush).

33917716003_6662886365_c.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.