Persistent cloudy pool :(

Jul 8, 2017
Memphis /Tennessee
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Struggling to get pool clear. Clarifier(I know, I know.) helps a bit but I have not seen drain in deep end for several days. Weeks ago had algae issue that finally have under control. Just bought 25# of shock/75% chlorine (I know, I know.) that was 20% off pool store's regularly inflated price. Trying to wean myself from trips to pool store and spending big $. New to using test kit since I have used the test/guess strips for a couple of years along with the pool store. Running filter 24/7. I know I need to go to Pool Math, but in a time crunch this morning since I am trying to finish up building a patio. Thanks in advance!

Ambient temp about 92F

CC= 2.5
FC = 5
TC = 7.5
PH = 7.8
TA = 140 ppm
CH = 250 ppm (Pink)
CYA = 85

Last edited:
[FC/CYA][/FC/CYA] is your guide. But you'll need a fas-dpd chlorine test kit to do a SLAM on it. Cloudy and 1.5 CC indicates you need to. Welcome.
FC + CC = TC btw. You're a point off somewhere there

Welcome to TFP!!:handwave:

First, your CYA is already high.

Your repeated "I know, I know" indicates you have read here and understand the problems.

Now is the time to make a decision, keep following the pool store and dropping lots of money there or follow our methods.

As the articles here at TFP point out, the pool industry refuses to recognize the connection between CYA/Stabilizer and the ability of chlorine to do it's thing sanitizing the water. others here can give you the scientific details if you want, but lets just say CYA locks the ability of chlorine to sanitize. The more CYA you have the more chlorine you need to keep in the pool to keep algae at bay. I took over my pool with a CYA of about 250 (CYA tests above 100 are just a guess, not very specific contrary to what the pool store says). With a CYA of 250 I had to keep my chlorine level at around 20 just to keep algae away.

It's your decision. Pool store or TFP. We don't have a magic bullet other than the best pool care chemical there is, chlorine.
You need to add to your test kit to change it from a K-2005 to a K-2006. HERE is what you need.

Until you decide to stop with the solid chlorine there is nothing we can do other than feel bad about your pool.

The K 2005 kit is a good kit... but lacks the FAS/DPD that we depend on (More accurate especially at higher levels).
Where Tim said HERE is JUST the FAS/DPD part of the kit that you will need to be able to take control of your pool back. (Instead of letting it control you like a tempestuous 2 year old). You already have everything else. :)

Oh... I almost forgot... Welcome to TFP, where the people are great, and the water is BETTER! :wave:

The bottom line is you need more chlorine in your pool and no more CYA. Chlorine needs to be maintained at target for your CYA, [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]. If it isnt then the pool will cloud up with bacteria and algae and then it won't be long before it turns green.

More here, ABCs of Pool Water Chemistry

Thank you very much! Friend has pool business and I will see if he will buy shock from me. I will perform a drain down/fill up today to get the CYA under control and order the suggested kit soon. Having a clear pool seems almost illusive now but I will press on and purchase liquid chlorine today. Pool looked great last February and for a few days in June.

Thanks to everyone. It has been barely one week and our pool is clean and clear! I am recommending this site to all of my pool owner friends. I now have the FAS/DPD test kit. So far, it seems that regular backwashing, and keeping chlorine/CYA levels in range is 90% or more of the challenge. I loaded up on bleach and am determined to not let the pool have algae issues the remainder of the season.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Great!

Now that the emergency is over let's look at the details.....

You say "regular backwashing", backwash ing should not be done based on time but on the pressure of your system. Only backwash when the pressure rises 25% over your "clean" pressure.

Next, in your signature you say "old sand filter that will be replaced soon". Why? Sand doesn't wear out. If the filter is too small for your pool or it is damaged/broken, that is a reason to change it. There are lots of old filters out there that work fine. I fear someone at the pol store has put an idea in your head that replacement is needed when it may not be.

Awesome that you now have control over your pool :) . Tim is spot on regarding your filter. Mine is from 1999 !!! ... Did replace that sand 7yrs ago when I too trusted the "Pool Store" recommendations. Take care of it, and it will take care of you! Happy Swimming :D

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.