Houston, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Hayward Aqua Rite Pro (T-15)
Now that the pool is almost done I am starting to get bids on a covered structure that would be attached to the back of my house. Initially I wanted a wood famed covered patio. However, as bids started coming in I also started looking at a cedar pergola with a tinted polycarbonate roof or even an aluminum insulated porch. The wood framed patio is the most expensive by far but seems like it would also fit in best with the existing house. For cost reasons I am currently leaning towards the pergola option. Has anyone looked at these options or have positive or negative experiences they can share?

Have you considered insulated roof panel. No heat transfer, reduces the sound of rain to a very low patter, easy to clean if ever required, minimal posts, supports lights and fans if wanted. The sheet is the span.

Can mount off the roof as in the pic, or attach it to the side of the house.

I have had this as a 40x22ft span off the roof last house. I am doing a 30x30ft off the roof for where I am now.s-l500.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Windstorm is going to dictate much of your options unless you are far enough North to be out of zone. Many folks don't run pergolas through an engineer, though they should, and that saves given the cost of engineer design or approval.

I am not a fan of pergolas
Me either anymore. Perhaps in some areas they are fine, but we had a 12 x 12 cedar pergola on our back patio at first and quickly learned not only did a large amount of sun and heat still penetrated through the slats above, but we couldn't enjoy the patio during inclement weather. So I built a typical monster Texas tin roof patio that stretches across a large part of the back of our house. Not only do we have more useable living space, but it helps to take brutal heat off of the west side of the house to save some $$$. It's your standard 6x6 posts, 2x6x12 roof joist supports, some furring strips on top to secure the corrugated metal roof. I must have some better pics, but these were the first ones I could find.

IMG_20151101_175412688.jpg

IMG_20170423_152246292.jpg

IMG_20171208_070030804.jpg

IMG_20171208_070147050.jpg

I went through a similar process last year. Our house design and the backyard layout didn’t lend themselves to an attached cover that would have integrated with the house. That would have been my first choice if I had the option. As others have discussed, a pergola can be architecturally attractive, but functionally limited. For that reason, I’d personally go with a fully roofed cover designed to look as if it was built with the house. Of course, I enjoy spending other people’s money… I also explored aluminum louvered structures, like Equinox. They can seal up and provide protection from rain/sun, but also open up if you want to let the elements in.

This is what we ended up with. Had to use steel beams because the cover is only supported on one side.

1660570765142.jpeg

pending on budget or need, you can always add solid, semi solid, or insect screen to things to weather proof as required. On the fly over roof we are installing, we are planning a roll down screen to control the morning sun, and the times the wether comes from the Sth Est.

Attachments

• electric-shade-it-blockout-blockout-black-84-outdoor-window-blind-a.jpg
    electric-shade-it-blockout-blockout-black-84-outdoor-window-blind-a.jpg
    36.3 KB · Views: 36
Thanks for all the responses. I should clarify that the pergola would have a dark tinted polycarbonate roof, which will prevent water from getting through. It would also have a ceiling fan. Regardless of if I go for the wood framed patio or pergola I plan to have a pull down screen on the side that faces the sun

For my money just make sure it breathes. I have found that polycarbonate tinted or clear can allow a lot of heat through just like unlined tin.
The insulated metal roof I suggested is replacing a pitched metal roof that was not insulated or lined. The heat would transfer in summer and make it uncomfortable to sit under. Then because its gutter line came done very close to the house's roof, it had restricted air flow. To further compounded this it was surrounded on 3 sides by the house. Yes its was relatively water tight, but air flow, light, and heat transfer was its failing. Something not uncommon to many patios.

The scullion roof in post 2 still needs to extend over the roof a good 4 to 5ft on the right hand side in my view. This would create better water protection but still allow for air and light.

Have you considered insulated roof panel. No heat transfer, reduces the sound of rain to a very low patter, easy to clean if ever required, minimal posts, supports lights and fans if wanted. The sheet is the span.

Can mount off the roof as in the pic, or attach it to the side of the house.

I have had this as a 40x22ft span off the roof last house. I am doing a 30x30ft off the roof for where I am now.View attachment 445813
I love this and am looking for something similar. Did you have someone build it or use a system of some kind? Would love to know more thanks.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.