Pentair VS - external control hookup

Steverino

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 18, 2009
Central PA
So I replaced our failing Hayward pump with a new Pentair VS. Really like having the variable speeds and, of course, the rebate from our power company...

I am trying to figure out how to turn the pump on when our Hayward Goldline GL-235 solar heat controller calls for flow, or when our Pool Pilot SWG wants to make chlorine. Both of these units are designed to output at 240v to the pump. That won't work with the VS, but I think I have another option: If you use the Pentair external wiring kit (353129Z) you can control the pump speeds via digital low voltage signals. The instructions show the the pump provides a 5v output for use with this setup, and one can use relays to trigger the pump speed inputs. External control overrides the pump's programmed schedule for as long as the external signal is present.

If I'm understanding this correctly, I should be able to use a 240v / 30a relay, where the 240v input from the solar or SWG controller is on one side and the 5v from the pump is on the other...

Hoping someone who has worked with this Pentair setup can confirm...or correct me.

Thanks!

Steve,

Depends on which Pentair VS pump you have...

I would assume the SuperFlo VS... If so, than you can use the 240 volts to turn on a relay (or relays) which would route the 5 VDC from the SuperFlo VS through the relay and then back to the pump selecting the speed you want.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Sorry - I forgot to include the model, but you are correct it is a SuperFlo VS (not Intelliflo). Thanks for confirming my understanding. I'll do some looking for appropriate relays and a junction box or housing to put them in.
If anyone has a slick setup for this, I'm all ears...well, eyes I guess. ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.