Raleigh, NC
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
I think I know the answer to my question based on fragments of responses to other questions, but I don't see a definitive thread. I've checked the wiki article on Pentair UltraTemp Heat Pumps and it's a little out of date, but it's generally correct. In the most recent Intellicenter firmware (1.064, 2.006) the options are OFF, Heater, UltraTemp Preferred, UltraTemp Only. I believe the UltraTemp Preferred setting is what the article refers to. If this is selected, it runs the UltraTemp until some point. Does anyone know what that point is? I think it's air temperature related. I had this setting selected last night, temps dropped into the low 50s and this morning the gas heater was on. Do we know if there has been any change in behavior relating to switching back to the heat pump?

• Off: No heat.
  • Heater: If heat is needed, only the gas heater will engage.
  • UltraTemp Preferred: If heat is needed and the heat pump can handle it, the heat pump will engage. Otherwise, the heater will engage.
  • UltraTemp Only: If heat is needed, only the heat pump will engage.

Do you know the criteria for "if the heat pump can handle it"?

This is where I wish there was better logging from Intellicenter. I'd like to see a readout of the behavior of the equipment. e.g. Heat pump running, air temp now 50 degrees, switching to heater.

Do you know the criteria for "if the heat pump can handle it"?
I don't have an Intellicenter, but there is some discussion on manual pages 74 - 75 discussing temperature settings and specifically referring to the UltraTemp. You may tweak those settings to your liking and you might need to experiment.
UltraTemp Heat and Cool Mode): Heat Mode Temp: This is the set temperature when in Heat Mode.
Cool Mode Temp: This is the set temperature when in Cool Mode.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.