Pentair Triton TR100C Leaking Closure Lid

Jun 14, 2015
Cedar Park, TX
I removed the closure to check the sand level and now can't get it back on without leaks. I replaced the gasket (new) with a coating of pool lube but still leaks. It is losing all pressure when the pump is off which is causing me to lose prime, and my pump is higher than the pool so it takes forever for it to re-prime (worried about what that is doing to the pump). Finally bought some Flex Shot and put a thick bead around the entire circumference just to stop it for now. Is there a thread sealant that would work for this (fiberglass) or any other ideas?

I removed the closure to check the sand level and now can't get it back on without leaks. I replaced the gasket (new) with a coating of pool lube but still leaks. It is losing all pressure when the pump is off which is causing me to lose prime, and my pump is higher than the pool so it takes forever for it to re-prime (worried about what that is doing to the pump). Finally bought some Flex Shot and put a thick bead around the entire circumference just to stop it for now. Is there a thread sealant that would work for this (fiberglass) or any other ideas?
How tight are you getting the lid? Make sure there’s no sand in the threads and that both parts are super clean. Then assemble with plenty of pool lube and get it good and tight. I had to use a rubber mallet and a 2x4 to alternate taps on the big plastic wrench handles.

Caution...........I would be reluctant to tighten that from strong blows with a mallet.........it'll make it quite difficult to get off.

I would suggest you start over by removing "closure" and cleaning everything pristinely. Then a little lube and it should seat nicely.

Hand tight and then a few SMALL taps with the mallet should be plenty.

Last edited:
Caution...........I would be reluctant to tighten that from strong blows with a mallet.........it'll make it quite difficult to get off.

I would suggest you start over by removing "closure" and cleaning everything pristinely. Then a little lube and it should seat nicely.

Hand tight and then a few SMALL taps with the mallet should be plenty.
Yes, don’t over tighten it!

How much pool lube? Too much and it will allow the O ring (I hope that's what you used, not a gasket) to be pushed out of where it needs to be to seal. The O ring should be shiny from the lube but there really shouldn't be a lot that you can see on the O ring. Be sure no sand got on the sealing area as well.

Reactions: Bperry
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.