Pentair TR60 Buttress blows off.

Roscoe

Jun 3, 2020
Southern AZ
Pool Size
I am confused. I came home and found my TR60 sand filter was leaking (with the pop ups cleaning) underneath the sand filter buttress.
I tightened the top cap and it blew off.
I changed the O ring - still leaked, tighten it and it blew off.
TR60 has a new buttress design; I ordered it.

I pulled the water line off ,for the pop up gear set, and turned on the pump to blow the line (and rinsed the gear set as well).
I pulled out the backwash valve set and did the same thing.
No issues.

I replaced the buttress with the new design and the new O ring.
Started it up, bled the line, tighten the buttress to stop the leak and then the buttress blew off.
Started again, opened all pool lines (to reduce pressure) and the buttress blew off.

The pop ups cycle as as they should.
All pool lines exhaust water was as assumed.
We got down do 25 degrees but the pump is always on anyway. The leak started in the afternoon (around 60 degrees).

I can run everything as long as I allow the TR60 buttress function with a small water leak.

Thoughts?
5ish year old TR60; warped?

I am confused. I came home and found my TR60 sand filter was leaking (with the pop ups cleaning) underneath the sand filter buttress.
I tightened the top cap and it blew off.
I changed the O ring - still leaked, tighten it and it blew off.
TR60 has a new buttress design; I ordered it.

I pulled the water line off ,for the pop up gear set, and turned on the pump to blow the line (and rinsed the gear set as well).
I pulled out the backwash valve set and did the same thing.
No issues.

I replaced the buttress with the new design and the new O ring.
Started it up, bled the line, tighten the buttress to stop the leak and then the buttress blew off.
Started again, opened all pool lines (to reduce pressure) and the buttress blew off.

The pop ups cycle as as they should.
All pool lines exhaust water was as assumed.
We got down do 25 degrees but the pump is always on anyway. The leak started in the afternoon (around 60 degrees).

I can run everything as long as I allow the TR60 buttress function with a small water leak.

Thoughts?
5ish year old TR60; warped?
Are you talking about the dome on the top of the tank? Sorry, but if it blew off, there is a strong likelihood that the threads in the tank are so damaged that the only true repair is a replacement tank. It will happen again and again as the filter gets dirty and the internal pressure rises. Not really safe to continue to use that tank in that condition.

The old thread was a V thread and the new thread is a "Buttress" style thread.

The buttress style thread is very strong, so it is very unusual for it to blow off.

Can you show the dome threads and the filter threads?

Can you show the filter label with the date?

The dome thread is now brand new (152519Z), the original did the same thing. I saw something about the V type is an older version, mine is 2020ish sand filter

Attachments

• IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    12.5 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_1033.jpg
    IMG_1033.jpg
    14.7 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Perhaps. I purchased it 5ish years, so maybe I got burned.
1036 is the filter
1037 is the new
1038 is the old buttress

Attachments

• IMG_1036.jpg
    IMG_1036.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1037.jpg
    IMG_1037.jpg
    16.8 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_1038.jpg
    IMG_1038.jpg
    13.5 KB · Views: 3
1038 is the old buttress
1038 looks like it might be a V thread and not a buttress thread.

Look at the thread carefully.

If you use the wrong thread, then the threads will be damaged.

You cannot interchange a V thread and a buttress thread.

You probably got a used filter with the wrong dome top and that is why it was blowing off.

At this point, you probably need a new filter.

1706050725883.png

Reactions: DavidArmenB
You probably have an obstruction in the returns or maybe a valve misconfiguration.

The tank looks about 23 years old, not 5 years old.
All lines have been blown with the output lines taken off. I don't see an inbound obstruction would cause but will look. Bought the tank in Phoenix 5 ish years ago still in the box, but who knows

It looks like you got a used filter with damaged threads whenever you got the filter.

I think that the filter is probably about 23 years old.

In any case, I would replace the filter.

Maybe consider going with a 420 sqft cartridge filter.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.