Pentair SWG Warranty

Jun 27, 2011
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
Ok, i need to replace my cell and i called Pentair to ask about warranties and they gave me a lot of talk about different warranties based on where i bought it. Was just going to get another one off Ebay, but people on here say that's a bad idea and not sure what warranty that leaves me. What sites are the places to buy where i will get the normal warranty? thx, SR

Brick and Mortor stores or similar large online retailers will come with the full warranty. Resellers like EBay merchants will not.

But now they also have a full line of E-commerce equipment that (pre pandemic/ TX freeze) cost a little bit more but came with the full warranty.

My 011028 pump from Inyopools for example is stamped EC-011028.

Are you planning on installing it yourself? If you are, it really does not matter where you get it, as long as it is a new Pentair product, the warranty should not come into play.

Pentair SWCG warranty is only 60 days if you buy the unit and install it yourself. The warranty on a unit without the power center bundle (like a drop in replacement) is 2 years if you have a "qualified installer" put it in for you.

I am dealing with a Pentair warranty claim now and can tell you they are nothing short of terrible right now. Probably lots of reasons, but they do suck and almost feels worse than dealing with a difficult PB. But, if it were me, I would find the best price for an authentic part and go with that one. Like I said, if you install it yourself, the cell will be halfway through a season before the warranty expires, and even if you have a "professional" install it and you bought the part yourself, it should last longer than 2 years anyway.

The warranty on a unit without the power center bundle (like a drop in replacement) is 2 years if you have a "qualified installer" put it in for you.

G,

That is just not true.. see this ..https://www.pentair.com/en-us/education-support/residential/product-support/warranty-center/pool-warranty.html

If you look at the list, the IntelliChlor has a two year warranty and does NOT need a qualified installer.. This is intended so that the home owner can install a replacement cell.. This assumes the original equipment was installed by a qualified installer.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Well from my perspective, I'm replacing a cell that's just over two years old due to saltwater corrosion inside the unit. Appartently, an unusual problem based on my previous thread. Prior to that, my previous Pentair cell lasted 10 years and I cleaned it, maybe, twice in that time. So, its either a fluke or just like everything else, that years ago quality mattered, but now quantity means sub-par construction. Pentair attributed problem to chlorine gas buildup in the unit. Pump not on, cell creating. Not really possible given that they both run off the same mechanical timer line. Cell doesn't have power if pump doesn't have power. And to corrode the entire unit, even up the power line, it would seem it would have to run a long time.

That being said, going to try to accomodate their warranty procedure this time around and buy from an "ec" seller.

I've bought the ic60 in the past for a 28k gallon pool thinking that few daily hours on the unit means longer lasting, but given this problem, should i be paying for the 40 vs. 60?

I've bought the ic60 in the past for a 28k gallon pool thinking that few daily hours on the unit means longer lasting, but given this problem, should i be paying for the 40 vs. 60?
That’s a great question and a hard decision. If you feel that the old one was a fluke and not the norm, then it would make sense to stay big for longevity. If you feel that longevity has suffered permanently, then maybe the smaller one is the way to go.

Where are you located ? That needs to be considered as well as a smaller than 2X unit would do fine in Chigago but maybe not in Miami.

f you look at the list, the IntelliChlor has a two year warranty and does NOT need a qualified installer
Looking at that page, it would indicate that a professional is not required to get the full warranty. I guess I was just repeating what Pentair had told me, but then again, they are not all on the same page when it comes to warranty's, but should have checked first.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Pentair attributed problem to chlorine gas buildup in the unit. Pump not on, cell creating. Not really possible given that they both run off the same mechanical timer line. Cell doesn't have power if pump doesn't have power. And to corrode the entire unit, even up the power line, it would seem it would have to run a long time.
Don't want to seem like a cynic against Pentair at all here, but their logic seemed flawed to me. I may be no expert on SWCGs, but, from all the experts posts here, the biggest reason for a failure is not saltwater. A properly maintained chemistry in the pool water and any cell should last at least as many hours as advertised. After all, it is a SALT water chlorine generator, what other kind of water would be in the pool?

I have about a 12,000 gallon pool. The PB listed a IC20 for my build, which is just under the 2X recommended level. I ended up going with the IC40, thinking I would need to run it a lot less and it would last a lot longer. The difference at the time was like $200, so it made sense to me. PolyTech Pool lists the difference of the IC40 to the IC60 as about $300 right now, which doesn't seem all that bad considering how much less you would need to run it and in theory how much longer it should last. With a low RPM and running the pump 24/7, and a auto cover, I run my cell at 15-25%, depending on the amount of sun and swimmers at any time in the height of summer.

I think with a properly balanced pool, any cell should last as long as the advertised hours, so why not get the bigger cell? The question would be the conviction this issue will not happen again and maybe you just got a bad unit. But going with a vendor who will get you the full warranty sounds like a great idea.

Don't want to seem like a cynic against Pentair at all here, but their logic seemed flawed to me. I may be no expert on SWCGs, but, from all the experts posts here, the biggest reason for a failure is not saltwater. A properly maintained chemistry in the pool water and any cell should last at least as many hours as advertised. After all, it is a SALT water chlorine generator, what other kind of water would be in the pool?

I have about a 12,000 gallon pool. The PB listed a IC20 for my build, which is just under the 2X recommended level. I ended up going with the IC40, thinking I would need to run it a lot less and it would last a lot longer. The difference at the time was like $200, so it made sense to me. PolyTech Pool lists the difference of the IC40 to the IC60 as about $300 right now, which doesn't seem all that bad considering how much less you would need to run it and in theory how much longer it should last. With a low RPM and running the pump 24/7, and a auto cover, I run my cell at 15-25%, depending on the amount of sun and swimmers at any time in the height of summer.

I think with a properly balanced pool, any cell should last as long as the advertised hours, so why not get the bigger cell? The question would be the conviction this issue will not happen again and maybe you just got a bad unit. But going with a vendor who will get you the full warranty sounds like a great idea.
This was the thread i was referring to and I agree, if you look at the pics, I had corrosion on top of the flow switch and oozing out of the cut power cord like foam puss...
As referred to in the thread, it looked like the kind of saltwater corrosion you would see in marine wiring, if it was not sealed properly....

I'm still unsure if I can get the two year warranty though buying from a seller like this. It would cost about 1,600 for my pool repair place to put in vs $900 on my own.
If the original unit was put in by an authorized installer, the homeowner is allowed to replace the unit with the full warranty.

I did my own and it took 10 minutes including getting the package on the front steps and unboxing it.

My unit was half price to buy online (at the time) so even if it was a dud and there was miscommunication with the warranty, I could buy a second unit with the savings and break even.

Use your credit card and not your debit card and if the seller turns out to be no good, call and have the charges reversed. It’s an extra layer of consumer protection.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.