jhendric23

Jul 15, 2022
NJ
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So apparently the displayed speed on the pump we have (Pentair Superflow VST) is in RPMs how do I convert that to GPM so that I know how often my pool is being turned over? The pool company installed it and set up the VSP scheduled timing. I don't like to just trust others with my pool, I want to understand what they did. So, if I know the pump's RPMs how do I know how much water it is actually moving?

We do not believe in the "turnover" myth here at TFP... It is just not true that you have to turnover your pool water X times a day. Your water stays clear and sanitized because of the chemicals in the pool water not because of the number of times the water passes through the filter. Your filter is there to capture the junk that falls into your pool, it is not there to prevent algae. Once the filter sees any algae, it is too late, you have already lost the algae war, :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

The whole point of having a VS pump is to run it as slow as your can and still get the job done.

1. The number one reason to run a pump is to generate the chlorine your pool needs if you are using SWCG or (shudder) a tab feeder. This means running the pump fast enough to close the SWCG's flow switch or to cause your chlorine tablets to erode.

2. The number two reason to run the pump is to skim your pool the way you want. Some pool owners do not care if there are debris floating on the surface others do. You just need to adjust the speed so that you skimmers work the way you want.

3. The number 3 reason to run a pump is if you have a suction side or pressure side cleaner.

4. The number 4 reason to run a pump is to heat the pool or spa. You will just have to experiment to find at what speed your heater will work.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.