ba67

Oct 17, 2018
Southern Kentucky
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our old Hayward Super pump has a seized motor and I have been told by a pool pro that we need to purchase a new pump. He recommends getting either a Pentair SuperFlo High Performance single speed pump or a Pentair SuperFlo VST variable speed pump. We hope to only own this house for a 3-4 more years (or less) and rarely swim in this pool any more now that the kids are grown. Would it be worth $600 more for a multispeed pump if we only plan on living in the home for 3-4 more years? If a multi-speed pump needs a new motor in the future, will the new motor cost significantly more than a new motor on a single speed pump? We only run our pump 12 hours a day and only have the pool open 5 months a year. We'd only be interested in spending an extra $600 on the variable speed pump if we could likely save more than $600 in 3-4 years in electricity and a replacement motor or replacement parts wouldn't cost significantly more in the future.

Single speed Pentair on 115v consumes about 10.5Amp (348190 under specifications SuperFlo® High Performance Pumps.

Somewhere around 1200W. Running 12 hours per day, and .10 per kWh, costs about $44/month.

VSP SuperFlo, running at 14-1700 rpm consumes about 200W (I have one) (and post #3 here:SuperFlo VS RPM vs Watts).

Running it 12 hours per day, and .1 per kWh, costs about $7.30 per month. Run it 24/7 it will cost you $14.60.

Let's say 6 months x 44 x 4 years = $1056.
6 months x 7.30 x 4 years = $175.

Savings = about $850.

Use your own electrical rates and a calculator like this to run your own numbers...

Reactions: ba67
Single speed Pentair on 115v consumes about 10.5Amp (348190 under specifications SuperFlo® High Performance Pumps.

Somewhere around 1200W. Running 12 hours per day, and .10 per kWh, costs about $44/month.

VSP SuperFlo, running at 14-1700 rpm consumes about 200W (I have one) (and post #3 here:SuperFlo VS RPM vs Watts).

Running it 12 hours per day, and .1 per kWh, costs about $7.30 per month. Run it 24/7 it will cost you $14.60.

Let's say 6 months x 44 x 4 years = $1056.
6 months x 7.30 x 4 years = $175.

Savings = about $850.

Use your own electrical rates and a calculator like this to run your own numbers...

Does the VSP SuperFlo's timer allow you to turn the pump completely off at night instead of just running it on the lowest speed at night and can it be set to turn back on at a certain time in the morning? Can you shut it off quickly and easily when you need to shut off the pump for some reason and do you have to reprogram it before you turn the pump back on? Our pool is surrounded by trees so we shut the pump off at night to prevent leaves from clogging the skimmer, and we turn it back on in the morning. When we get an alert on our phone that a storm is passing through, we run outside to turn the pump off. We don't currently have a timer so we've been manually turning the pump on and off twice a day and before/after storms. If this pump has a timer on it that will allow us to turn the pump completely off at a certain time at night and turn it back on at a certain time without having to purchase a separate timer, this would be another reason for spending extra money on the VSP SuperFlo. I'm also curious to know if this pump can be put on an electronic timer that can be controlled with an app since this is something that we've been considering purchasing in the future when we save up enough money.

Does the VSP SuperFlo's timer allow you to turn the pump completely off at night instead of just running it on the lowest speed at night and can it be set to turn back on at a certain time in the morning?
There are three scheduled "speeds" and an associated time period that must add up to less than 24 hours. If you schedule speed 1, 2 and 3 to be 1400 (or whatever speeds you want for each), and the total of 1, 2 and 3 add up to 12 hours, the pump enters a paused state for 12 hours, then starts the schedule again.
Can you shut it off quickly and easily when you need to shut off the pump for some reason and do you have to reprogram it before you turn the pump back on?
Single button on/off. No it retains programming and time.
Our pool is surrounded by trees so we shut the pump off at night to prevent leaves from clogging the skimmer, and we turn it back on in the morning. When we get an alert on our phone that a storm is passing through, we run outside to turn the pump off. We don't currently have a timer so we've been manually turning the pump on and off twice a day and before/after storms. If this pump has a timer on it that will allow us to turn the pump completely off at a certain time at night and turn it back on at a certain time without having to purchase a separate timer, this would be another reason for spending extra money on the VSP SuperFlo. I'm also curious to know if this pump can be put on an electronic timer that can be controlled with an app since this is something that we've been considering purchasing in the future when we save up enough money.
I would use the timer on the pump. I would not put an external timer on THIS pump because it is built in.

See page 8.

There are three scheduled "speeds" and an associated time period that must add up to less than 24 hours. If you schedule speed 1, 2 and 3 to be 1400 (or whatever speeds you want for each), and the total of 1, 2 and 3 add up to 12 hours, the pump enters a paused state for 12 hours, then starts the schedule again.

Single button on/off. No it retains programming and time.

I would use the timer on the pump. I would not put an external timer on THIS pump because it is built in.

See page 8.

Since the VSP pump has a built in timer, the cost difference is now only $400 since I was planning on adding a timer anyway. Since our pool is surrounded by trees, I'm curious to know if the Superflo VSP pump is more likely to suffer damage if the skimmer gets clogged with leaves and the pump loses prime than the SuperFlo single speed pump would? Is the Superflo VSP pump less reliable than the single speed variety and do replacement parts cost more? I'm sorry to be asking so many questions but I have to decide by tomorrow which pump to get since our pool is getting greener by the day.

Since the VSP pump has a built in timer, the cost difference is now only $400 since I was planning on adding a timer anyway. Since our pool is surrounded by trees, I'm curious to know if the Superflo VSP pump is more likely to suffer damage if the skimmer gets clogged with leaves and the pump loses prime than the SuperFlo single speed pump would?
No, they will be the same WRT damage and losing prime. If you are really worried, read this:

Is the Superflo VSP pump less reliable than the single speed variety and do replacement parts cost more? I'm sorry to be asking so many questions but I have to decide by tomorrow which pump to get since our pool is getting greener by the day.
No. The Superflo gives EXCELLENT service. It is made to run continuously, and because of the lower RPMs with the VSP, it just hums along. Many of us here are sold on the pump. And it is easy to service. The replacement parts are reasonable. If I had to buy another pump, and not having automation, I would buy the superflo VST again. It has been bulletproof. There are other good pumps, but many of us swear by these pumps in non-automated situations.

I spend $20 a year on "go kit" (all o-rings) as insurance and replace them in the spring. If the shaft seal goes bad, replace with the upgraded SCS seal PS-1908 (see pics, bottom line on second pic). The basic seal is fine, I wouldn't replace it out of the box, it will give years of service, but if it goes bad, use the upgraded seal. It has been a low maintenance workhorse.

From U.S. Seal:

1715140428674.png
1715140526325.png

Last edited:
The other benefit is that it will run on 115v or 220v, you don't have to rewire the pad. Do you know what service you have?
I'm not sure what service we have. I'm going to let my pool guy install it because it comes with a 3 year warranty if it is installed by a licensed pool professional.

I really appreciate all of information that you provided to me. I think we will get the variable speed pump since it comes with a built in timer and it will save us money on electric bills. I was planning on buying a new salt water generator this year instead but I guess I will have to spend money on a new pump this year and wait until next year for a new SWG.

Good choice on the pump.

SWCG is another issue. If there is any way you can swing the SWCG, it is MAGIC. I would fill in my pool before you would take my SWCG. I know, $$$, but SWCG is a game changer.

Reactions: ba67