Pentair Superflo on its way OUT

wireform

Gold Supporter
Silver Supporter
TFP Guide
In The Industry
Aug 15, 2017
Spring Valley, NY
Customer has Easytouch with a Pentair Superflo which looks to be biting the dust. The motor will need bearings and is very loud/noisy besides the pump is old. They're upgrading everything around their house as the need arises to today's technology so why not move this project into that direction via a VSP. Screen logic already is on the horizon so just another reason to move forward. The question is which pump should I shop for that can fill this spot and are the connections all the same so it can be an easy swop without plumbing alterations. What is needed to make it work with the Easytouch?
Thanks in advance, Allan.

I would think the Superflo VST pump.

Allan,

To have the pump run from the EasyTouch, you will need the control cable that has the two additional RX-485 wires.

The two RX-485 wires are then connected to the com port in the EasyTouch.

That said, I like bigger VS pumps... When you buy a small VS pump, like the SuperFlo VST, it will need to be run much faster to move the same amount of water that an IntelliFlo can move. The slower you can run the pump, and still move a lot of water, the better.

If the current plumbing has room for the IntelliFlo or IntelliFlo3, then I would recommend the larger pump and do the replumbing. If, like a lot of equipment pads, it would be almost impossible for the plumbing to be modified, then I would go with the SuperFlo VST.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Allan,

I think that either pump would fit.

The main problem that I see is the outfeed pipe goes right over the control head. Not sure if you could get the control heads door open or not. Most likely will be ok, but something to think about when installing.

If you go with the IntelliFlo, I suggest that you install it with pump unions, that do not come with the pump. The RS-485 control cable does.

Anyone that installs a $1800 pump that does not use pump unions is making a terrible mistake..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: 1poolman1
WF,

The IntelliFlo VST (011056) has the original in out pipe that I "believe" has the same form factor on what you have now, but don't know that for sure. It just looks the same. Here is a link to the manual.

The IntelliFlo3 is the newer pump that is supposed to have better efficiency. It has different in and out positions and has a much bigger pump basket. It also has the ability to be controled by an app or the RS-485. Since you have an EasyTouch, it would not make any sense to use the app. P/N 011075.. The P/N 011076 has two internal relays, but again, not something you need with an EasyTouch. The IntelliFlo3 does not have a display on the pump. Here is its manual..

A 3rd option is the WhisperFlo VS.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Install of inteliflo3 almost done but with a piping question.
I need three 90° elbows to meet the 1.5" pipe that goes to the filter. I can use three 2" elbows and use a reducer bushing at the last elbow to mate with the 1.5" pipe OR
I can use the reducer bushing at the first 2" elbow and then continue on with 1.5". Are there any pros or cons to which method I use.Screenshot_20230801_233023_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20230801_234117_Gallery.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.