Anaheim, California
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
Hi you all. The suction fitting of my Pentair acid canister was broken at the plastic fitting where the tube from the acid pump connected to (see attached pictures).
I tried to unscrew both suction and vent fittings but weren’t able to. Seems like they were glued/stuck on the canister.
What’s options do I have?
Can I repair/modify the suction fitting with Amazon/Homedepot part?
Unless I am able to remove the suction fitting, buy a new fitting would not help. And buy a new canister is too expensive unless I have no other option.
Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Wayne

Attachments

• IMG_2858.jpeg
    IMG_2858.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2859.jpeg
    IMG_2859.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2861.jpeg
    IMG_2861.jpeg
    485.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2858.jpeg
    IMG_2858.jpeg
    548.2 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_2859.jpeg
    IMG_2859.jpeg
    510.4 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2862.jpeg
    IMG_2862.jpeg
    688.3 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_2857.jpeg
    IMG_2857.jpeg
    43 KB · Views: 4
It looks like the acid tank Pentair sells with its IntelliChem system (same tank as the IntellipH, without the pump). And it's pretty beat up, and yours is about 11 years old.

As you say, if you can't get the old parts out, there's not much to be done. If you're ambitious enough, there is probably a way to retro fit a tube onto the existing broken part. I've never done that, so can't really suggest anything off hand. It does appear to be threaded, so that might be a head start.

I doubt Pentair sells just the top housing, and if they did, I doubt it would be cheaper than a used tank on eBay.

Again, I've never tried this, but this might be one approach. If you can't figure out how to reattached the tube, you can try cutting the fitting off very close to the housing, and then carefully slice what's left from the inside out. Several cuts might free the remaining male threads from the female threads in the housing. I've seen videos of plumbers doing this maneuver when they can't free threads. So it's possible if done carefully enough.

If you attempt that, disassemble the top housing from the bottom, rinse if off, and then try it. That'll keep shavings out of the tank and allow you to work on it "acid fume free."

These are the chlorine and acid tanks sold with the IntelliChem system:

Screen Shot 2024-05-10 at 10.51.19 PM.pngScreen Shot 2024-05-10 at 10.52.01 PM.png

This is the gist of it. This 'tube is about how to do this on metal pipes, but the MO would be similar with plastic.

PS. If I tried the above and ruined the female threads beyond use, I would probably just epoxy in the new part and hope I never have to do it again.