Pentair Slide/Backwash Valve help……

OWSwimmer

Mar 8, 2022
TX
Looks like freezing weather here caused the backwash/slide valve to leak in spite of me leaving the system running. It also looks like the handle locking pin has slipped out of place and has possibly contributed or caused my problem. Now I’m needing to replace the valve and I’m looking for some help confirming that I’m headed in the right direction.
I have a Pentair PNS60 filter and I’m looking at the Pentair 263064 to repair my leaking backwash valve. This looks like it’s just the piston for the complete assembly. Will this work with my filter, will it correct my problem and did this slipped locking pin contributed or cause my problem? 0BF16CB6-E5CE-4D01-B1E1-B7D798A130BD.jpeg8C3901A6-2BDF-495A-A629-0B7335123A8C.png0BF16CB6-E5CE-4D01-B1E1-B7D798A130BD.jpegI’ll try to attach some pics. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great holiday.

Looks like freezing weather here caused the backwash/slide valve to leak in spite of me leaving the system running. It also looks like the handle locking pin has slipped out of place and has possibly contributed or caused my problem. Now I’m needing to replace the valve and I’m looking for some help confirming that I’m headed in the right direction.
I have a Pentair PNS60 filter and I’m looking at the Pentair 263064 to repair my leaking backwash valve. This looks like it’s just the piston for the complete assembly. Will this work with my filter, will it correct my problem and did this slipped locking pin contributed or cause my problem? View attachment 466281View attachment 466280View attachment 466281I’ll try to attach some pics. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great holiday.
It appears that something (ice?) pushed the piston up, out of position, past the stop and deformed both the roll pin and the housing. The only other time I've seen that kind of damage is when a customer had a bad internal O ring that prevented the piston from being pushed completely down and they turned the handle past the the locking slot.

Unless the body is damaged, all you should need is the 263055 stem assembly.

It appears that something (ice?) pushed the piston up, out of position, past the stop and deformed both the roll pin and the housing. The only other time I've seen that kind of damage is when a customer had a bad internal O ring that prevented the piston from being pushed completely down and they turned the handle past the the locking slot.

Unless the body is damaged, all you should need is the 263055 stem assembly.
Thanks for the reply. Not sure how ice could force this slide valve up from the locked position since pump was on. I’ll look closer when I get this off.

I have a Pentair PNS60 filter and I’m looking at the Pentair 263064 to repair my leaking backwash valve. This looks like it’s just the piston for the complete assembly. Will this work with my filter, will it correct my problem and did this slipped locking pin contributed or cause my problem? View attachment 466281View attachment 466280View attachment 466281I’ll try to attach some pics. Thanks in advance and I hope everyone has a great holiday.
This is a new pool. Is this something typically covered under warranty and should I be calling my PB or Pentair? Thanks.

This is a new pool. Is this something typically covered under warranty and should I be calling my PB or Pentair? Thanks.
Can't hurt to ask, but don't be surprised if they use weather as a reason to get out of it. :(

There are 6 of the stem assemblies available on eBay for about $40.00 (+/- with shipping) each. Its a 5 minute repair. You'll spend longer than that just trying to get a warranty claim started. The collar simply unscrews from the body and the whole assembly comes out. Somethings just aren't worth the effort. Ice could form below the bottom piston disc and force the assembly up even with the pump running. If it was caused by freeze, there is no warranty from the manufacturer, but if you get the right customer service agent he might accommodate you, I've had it happen with Pentair.

As this shows, the water should be flowing in the top part, but maybe the waste line is not draining and if it freezes, it might push up on the valve.

Does the waste line drain?

Maybe the pump turned off for some reason like a power outage?

1672081960621.png

There are 6 of the stem assemblies available on eBay for about $40.00 (+/- with shipping) each. Its a 5 minute repair. You'll spend longer than that just trying to get a warranty claim started. The collar simply unscrews from the body and the whole assembly comes out. Somethings just aren't worth the effort. Ice could form below the bottom piston disc and force the assembly up even with the pump running. If it was caused by freeze, there is no warranty from the manufacturer, but if you get the right customer service agent he might accommodate you, I've had it happen with Pentair.
Thanks! I see now how ice might form in spite of the pump running. I didn’t have any luck finding the slider stem assembly or valve for $40. I did see a used one for that much. I ended up buying one from an outfit in California who had the best price I could find of $78 including shipping.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
As this shows, the water should be flowing in the top part, but maybe the waste line is not draining and if it freezes, it might push up on the valve.

Does the waste line drain?

Maybe the pump turned off for some reason like a power outage?

View attachment 466455
Great diagram. Helps me understand how this slider valve works. We’ve had no power outage and I’m not sure if the waste line is draining or not but I’m about to go have a look. Thanks.

Thanks! I see now how ice might form in spite of the pump running. I didn’t have any luck finding the slider stem assembly or valve for $40. I did see a used one for that much. I ended up buying one from an outfit in California who had the best price I could find of $78 including shipping.
If it is worth it to you, here is the eBay site. No, it's not mine.

Thanks. Don’t know why that didn’t show up in my search. Wish it had.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.