Pentair ScreenLogic only connects remotely (not locally)

PLCguy

Apr 6, 2022
Palm Springs, Ca
We just had a new Pentair ScreenLogic system added to our existing pool system We can use ScreenLogic to connect remotely to the system but when trying to connect on the local network the app never gets past the ”Searching for system controller” message. Our pool guy and I have called Pentair support multiple times, but unfortunately the advice tends to verge on the absurd, with guidance like “The ScreenLogic Interface won’t work if you have 5GHz configured on your modem”.

Since ScreenLogic remote login works well, I’m pretty sure that the interface is wired correctly and can communicate over the modem. However my guess is that the IP subnet mask has been incorrectly configured on the interface. Our network is set up as 192.168.1.x with a 255.255.255.0 mask which might confuse the ScreenLogic which MIGHT be expecting a 255.255.0.0 mask.

So I have been trying to configure the interface but not having any luck. I installed the SLconfig application on my iPad (the same one that successfully connects remotely to the ScreenLogic app), but can’t get it to connect to anything, either locally or remotely. So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone had this problem where you can connect remotely but not locally to ScreenLogic?
2. Is the password for the SLConfig application the same as the password for Remote login to the user app?
3. If it is, any ideas why I can’t connect to the controller using the SLConfig app?
4. If the passwords are different, any suggestions on how to reset the confpig password?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eric

Welcome to the forum.
Do you have a VPN service being used? That will block the Local connection.

Nope, not a VPN anywhere. But looking through some of the old posts, I notice that there are posts mentioning people who are using Google Mesh network have similar similar issues. We are using a Google Mesh network So maybe that is the problem. Anyone out there ever get Local Login working with Google Mesh networks?

I had similar problems a year or so ago when I changed my router to the Google Nest. I don't recall exactly but it was something strange like relocating the router relative to the Screen Logic adapter --like they can't sit on top of each other or give them some space. I believe I found the answer on this forum. Do a search for it -- I will look back as well and see if I can find it. I think it was someone in Texas that discovered the interference issue.

YES -- here it is --https://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/screenlogic-lost-connection-after-freeze-power-loss.224258/
Move the router away from the protocol adapter --reset everything -- and hopefully your local will connect.

Try to connect the protocol adapter directly into a mesh point. Sounds odd, but I had problems connecting until I did that. Pentair support said that mesh systems don’t play well unless you do that. I thought it was absurd, but fixed my months long problem.

Linksys mesh and Amplifi mesh didn’t make my ScreenLogic not work. Changed to eero and stated seeing this. The protocol adapter was always in the same place in the network. Connecting to my eero mesh point was the fix after all.

I notice that there are posts mentioning people who are using Google Mesh network have similar similar issues. We are using a Google Mesh network So maybe that is the problem.
As you pointed out, though, you can connect to it using the remote login just fine. So there would seem to be no incompatibility between Google's 802.11s mesh technology and the Pentair hardware.

Rule out the simple things first. Did you put the Pentair hardware or your iPad on a guest network (or VLAN or subnet or whatever) that isolates clients from each other or from other parts of your LAN?

I'm having this same issue. What I have noticed is that once I connect remotely, I can go back and connect locally if I don't quit the app. Once I quit the app I can't connect locally again. It used to work fine for a long time, then it stopped working a few months ago. I have not changed my network in a couple years.

My adapter is connected to a switch and I use Nest routers in a mesh. Connecting directly to the router isn't an option since the router only has one output and I need that to go to a switch. The adapter is not physically close to the Nest router (it is in garage and nearest router is in a room above garage)

I can't tell if this is a bug in the adapter, app, or both.

Maybe there was an update the Nest router software that caused an incompatibility, but I haven't done an update and not sure if it updates automatically.

I'm just putting this out there in case it might help debug/diagnose the problem

Last edited:
We just had a new Pentair ScreenLogic system added to our existing pool system We can use ScreenLogic to connect remotely to the system but when trying to connect on the local network the app never gets past the ”Searching for system controller” message. Our pool guy and I have called Pentair support multiple times, but unfortunately the advice tends to verge on the absurd, with guidance like “The ScreenLogic Interface won’t work if you have 5GHz configured on your modem”.

Since ScreenLogic remote login works well, I’m pretty sure that the interface is wired correctly and can communicate over the modem. However my guess is that the IP subnet mask has been incorrectly configured on the interface. Our network is set up as 192.168.1.x with a 255.255.255.0 mask which might confuse the ScreenLogic which MIGHT be expecting a 255.255.0.0 mask.

So I have been trying to configure the interface but not having any luck. I installed the SLconfig application on my iPad (the same one that successfully connects remotely to the ScreenLogic app), but can’t get it to connect to anything, either locally or remotely. So I have a few questions:

1. Has anyone had this problem where you can connect remotely but not locally to ScreenLogic?
2. Is the password for the SLConfig application the same as the password for Remote login to the user app?
3. If it is, any ideas why I can’t connect to the controller using the SLConfig app?
4. If the passwords are different, any suggestions on how to reset the confpig password?

All suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Eric
I had this same issue with the Google Mesh system. As mentioned early in this thread, move the ScreenLogic away from the Google Mesh router and reset everything and it works.

Hey all, just got done diagnosing a communication issue between Google Mesh and Pentair's Protocol adapter. Spent quite a bit of time with Pentair tech support - bottom line is the Pentair system and the Google system have random problems communicating (mostly because of newer security features Google is using). Sometimes setting port forwarding works, to get it to appear, sometimes not. If you can still connect remotely, that's better than no connection at all. May not be the answer you were looking for, but unless the 2 systems go through major overhauls, it may be your only option.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Hey all, just got done diagnosing a communication issue between Google Mesh and Pentair's Protocol adapter. Spent quite a bit of time with Pentair tech support - bottom line is the Pentair system and the Google system have random problems communicating (mostly because of newer security features Google is using). Sometimes setting port forwarding works, to get it to appear, sometimes not. If you can still connect remotely, that's better than no connection at all. May not be the answer you were looking for, but unless the 2 systems go through major overhauls, it may be your only option.

great info, thank you.

no idea how or why, but local connection started working again for me. Nothing has changed with my network. Must be luck.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.