Pentair Screen Logic valve config?

SteveTech

Dec 20, 2022
Tulsa, OK
So in the process of nailing down my new schedule, I have run into an unknown..

Screen logic shows two circuits (outside of features), being POOL and SPA. When Pool mode is running, valve into the filter is 100% skimmer and vents (2), SPA is off and return valve is 80% SPA (spillways from spa) and 20% pool jets. When SPA mode is turned on, input valve is 100% SPA and returns are 100% spa.

What I can not seem to find in the app is HOW these circuits are actuated? Under valve config in SL config, there is no setup. So what is telling the valves to open/close when the circuits change?

I ask because I want to create a spillway circuit and I cant seem to tell the system how to tie the valves into a POOL config

Steve,

The two valves you are talking about are called the Intake valve and the Return valve. The Intake valve is before the pump and the Return valve is after the heater. They move automatically when you switch between the Pool and Spa mode. This is part of the EasyTouch and can't be changed.

In theory, your Return valve, when in the Pool mode, should send 80% of the water to the pool and only 20% to the spa to cause it to spillover.

How about showing use several pics of your equipment pad. The number one cause of a weak spillover is a dirty filter. But many things can effect it. The bigger (wider) the spillover, the more water it takes to make it work. If your plumbing is designed to 'steal' water to power other things, before it goes to the spillover, there may not be enough flow to make everything work. If you have 50 different water features, they all can't run at the same time. Having a heater adds resistance to the water flow and means you have to run the pump faster.

Show us pics of the Spa spillover as well..

Thanks,

Jim R.

You set up a Spillway as a Feature.
SL Setup Circuit.png
You then create a Schedule for that Circuit.
You will need to change the Cam setting on your Return Actuator so that it is set to full open or closed. Then when in Pool, the return actuator will fully close the valve to the Spa. When in Spillway, the return actuator will fully open the valve to the spa.

Steve,

Just to be clear..

Good pool builders install a bypass the allows water to go to the spa, when in the pool mode. This bypass also has a Jandy valve that can be used to adjust the flow, or shut off the spillover altogether.

Lazy pool builders just off set the Return valve so that some water is always going to the spa. The downside is that your spillover runs all the time.

As Marty points out, you can use the "Spillway" mode in the EasyTouch to turn the spillover on and off when you want. The "Spillway" mode is not active unless you set it up.

When in the Spillway mode, the Intake valve sucks water from the Pool, and the Return valve sends all of it to the Spa.. You just schedule it to be on for half and hour, twice a day, and it will keep the spa water fresh.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

Just to be clear..

Good pool builders install a bypass the allows water to go to the spa, when in the pool mode. This bypass also has a Jandy valve that can be used to adjust the flow, or shut off the spillover altogether.

Lazy pool builders just off set the Return valve so that some water is always going to the spa. The downside is that your spillover runs all the time.

As Marty points out, you can use the "Spillway" mode in the EasyTouch to turn the spillover on and off when you want. The "Spillway" mode is not active unless you set it up.

When in the Spillway mode, the Intake valve sucks water from the Pool, and the Return valve sends all of it to the Spa.. You just schedule it to be on for half and hour, twice a day, and it will keep the spa water fresh.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Ok, let's start with pictures.. You are seeing the pictures in POOL mode (returns are 80/20 Spa/Pool and intake is 100% pool). When in SPA mode, intake valve does a complete 180, closes off pool and return valve closes off the remaining 20% to go just to SPA jets. Right now, filter is running at 1600 RPM and pressure is 5 +/- Psi.. There are 3 spillovers coming out of a 8ft spa (6 jets). Spillovers ONLY run in pool mode. In SPA mode, water level drops in SPA below spillovers.

Last edited:
Steve,

I wanted to see the pics to make sure you did not have make up line for the spa overflow, and you don't.

I read another thread of yours that said you have set up the spillway function.. Great job.. :goodjob:

If you have not already done so, your Return valve need to shut off the Spa completely when in the pool mode.

When in the pool mode, you want all your water to go to the pool eyeballs.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

I wanted to see the pics to make sure you did not have make up line for the spa overflow, and you don't.
The interesting thing is, if you look at the returns, there is a pipe to the right (barely in the picture) that is capped off. Not sure what it is.. 🤷‍♂️

I read another thread of yours that said you have set up the spillway function.. Great job.. :goodjob:
Works like a charm.. runs 4x a day for about 30 mins at 2800 rpm..

If you have not already done so, your Return valve need to shut off the Spa completely when in the pool mode.

So right now, it is in that 80/20 config where water is going INTO the spa and pool. SO you are saying re-adjust the valve so it is no longer 80/20, but full 100% to pool, skipping the spillways altogether (unless the spillway program runs to freshen the water)? No idea how to do that..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

Thanks,

Jim R.

G'morning.. to follow up here.. so in redoing the actuator, we DON'T want the typical 80/20 mix? but full-on into the pool?

Also, how does one increase the suction on the skimmer vs the vents? right now, based on the pad config it looks like they are full open.. I want the filter running at the lower RPM to do a better job skimming, or would that be another circuit config to set up to have a high-speed skimming?

Last edited:
Steve,

I assume by "vents" you are talking about the main drains?

I looked at your plumbing pics and you have two inputs to your pump when in the Pool Mode. Most likely the two inputs are the Skimmer and the Main Drain.

I suggest that you only open the main drain line about 5 or 10%. Main drains are not really needed at all. This should increase the skimmer suction.

No way for me to know which pipe goes to the skimmer and which goes to the main drain. You will have to test and see. Go look at the skimmer and see if you can see or feel water being sucked from the skimmer and into the pump. (You should). Then shut off one of the two valves and go look at the skimmer again. If the suction action has stopped, you will know that the valve you turned controls the skimmer line. If the suction action did not stop, you will know that the valve is for the main drain. You never, ever want to shut off both valves at the same time!!!

Note that you may have two drain covers in the bottom of your pool, but only one pipe into your pump. This is because the two drains are tied together so that if you sat on one, it would not have enough suction to hold you down. A safety feature.

Return valve 80/20 split.. When you use the spillway function, you do NOT want the 80/20 split. You want all the water to go to the pool when in the pool mode. This will shut off the constant spillover. You will only have the spillover when you turn on the Spillway mode. You can adjust the amount of spillover by setting a "Spillway Speed".

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Steve,

One day, if you get a chance, you should put your Filter MPV in the by-pass or recirculate position and see what the water flow is like.. It would be interesting to see if there is a major difference in flow, when the water going through your filter, and when it is by-passing your filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

I assume by "vents" you are talking about the main drains?
Correct.. still learning my terms ;)
I looked at your plumbing pics and you have two inputs to your pump when in the Pool Mode. Most likely the two inputs are the Skimmer and the Main Drain.

I suggest that you only open the main drain line about 5 or 10%. Main drains are not really needed at all. This should increase the skimmer suction.

No way for me to know which pipe goes to the skimmer and which goes to the main drain. You will have to test and see. Go look at the skimmer and see if you can see or feel water being sucked from the skimmer and into the pump. (You should). Then shut off one of the two valves and go look at the skimmer again. If the suction action has stopped, you will know that the valve you turned controls the skimmer line. If the suction action did not stop, you will know that the valve is for the main drain. You never, ever want to shut off both valves at the same time!!!

Note that you may have two drain covers in the bottom of your pool, but only one pipe into your pump. This is because the two drains are tied together so that if you sat on one, it would not have enough suction to hold you down. A safety feature.
SO the SKimmer should have most of the suction with the drains only being about 5%, not the full on config it is now.. got it..
Return valve 80/20 split.. When you use the spillway function, you do NOT want the 80/20 split. You want all the water to go to the pool when in the pool mode. This will shut off the constant spillover. You will only have the spillover when you turn on the Spillway mode. You can adjust the amount of spillover by setting a "Spillway Speed".
When the spill way program runs, the returns go to 100% SPA, not a 80/20 split.. I am assuming that is what you mean..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Steve,

One day, if you get a chance, you should put your Filter MPV in the by-pass or recirculate position and see what the water flow is like.. It would be interesting to see if there is a major difference in flow, when the water going through your filter, and when it is by-passing your filter.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I actually just did a backwash and was wondering what "recirculate" did.. So that bypasses the sand filter completely? Also, what is function of "Waste"

Steve,

When the filter MPV is in the waste mode, the water does not go through the filter, or back to the pool, it goes to the waste/backwash line. Some pools just have a hose that sends the water off to a ditch or drain.. Some pools have the backwash line plumbed into the sewer.

You'd use the waste option when you did not want the water to go into the filter. Like if you were vacuuming up dead algae or just green algae water.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.