Pentair Race - stays in shallow end

Apr 15, 2012
Hi All, our Pentair Racer seems to gravitate to the shallow end of the pool and find his way into a little nook. I moved the line floats farther from him to chance reducing the buoyancy, and toss him into the deep end and before long he's back in the nook. Back up valve seems to be working fine.
Pool is pebbletek, should we use a different tire?
Also, my wife noticed that when she uses the net to collect acorns from the bottom there is always a big dust cloud.
Filter is well maintained. Pressure side wall filter is clean.
Any ideas?

I cannot help you with the Pentair Racer. However, your comment about the big dust cloud caught my attention. How do you chlorinate your water, pucks in the chlorine feeder? And, do you have the capability to test your water? I don't see a test kit in your signature. I'm concerned about low FC and/or high CYA.

Last edited:
I used to have a Racer, did the same thing. Common problem was for the gear drive for the front wheels would wear down. Sometimes one wheel would turn way more than other. Sometimes it would hit the wall head on and just set there and could hear the sound of the gears crunching away. Replaced the front drive shaft and front wheels and tires and it worked great again, for awhile until gear problem resurfaced. Have you tried adjusting the directional nozzle in the back, that helps a little.

I cannot help you with the Pentair Racer. However, your comment about the big dust cloud caught my attention. How do you chlorinate your water, pucks in the chlorine feeder? And, do you have the capability to test your water? I don't see a test kit in your signature. I'm concerned about low FC and/or high CYA.
We generally keep 2 pucks in the chlorine feeder. I generally take my water in for testing, just down the road. We were having really high CYA, and they said we were "chlorine locked". This was all determined after taking sample in when algae was noticed. We drained 50-60% of the pool and refilled. Tests have all been good the past few weeks.

I used to have a Racer, did the same thing. Common problem was for the gear drive for the front wheels would wear down. Sometimes one wheel would turn way more than other. Sometimes it would hit the wall head on and just set there and could hear the sound of the gears crunching away. Replaced the front drive shaft and front wheels and tires and it worked great again, for awhile until gear problem resurfaced. Have you tried adjusting the directional nozzle in the back, that helps a little.
I've replaced those once, suppose maybe its time again. I've adjusted the nozzle but might need to piddle with it more. Thanks for the drive shaft reminder.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.