Pentair Quad or CCP cartridge filter for a messy pool?

JCD3nton

Jul 6, 2020
Laredo, TX
My pool is around 20k-25k gallons (odd shape) and surrounded by oak trees that leave massive amounts of leaves in the pool. This makes managing chlorine a nightmare, and between that and work travel I do sometimes get algae blooms. Right now I have a Jandy 60 ft DE filter that sprung a small leak and needs to be replaced. I've read a number of threads and looked through Amazon reviews but a few things are unclear.

1. Everyone says to get a large filter but would the Quad 100 DE or 520 CCP be overkill for this pool or are they the right size?
2. I'm considering a switch to SWG at some point. I saw one person state that the pentair docs say not to use the Quad with salt. Is this true or is the Quad fine for SWG?
3. Which one would be better for clearing algae blooms? I've read mixed things about both of them individually in this regard without any comparison to each other.

As for algae, that's a chemical problem that a filter can't fix. Sufficient chlorine is the solution.

I am not counting on a filter to fix algae. I just want to know what will get an already-killed algae bloom out of the water with the least work.

At times during the year, there are enough leaves to fill two skimmer baskets packed tight multiple times per day. If I have to leave for a week, the pool is going to be trashed and I can't really do anything about that.

Reactions: JamesW
My 500s got this dirty every spring with 80 oaks on an acre.

Screenshot_20240312_201945_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240312_202007_Gallery.jpg

I ran hot for 8.5 years there and never once had an issue with the crud falling. In the fall it was a tea instead of a pool.

• Wow
Here's what they looked like after clearing this opening swamp. (Stupid warm winter and I got bit)

Screenshot_20240312_202253_Gallery.jpgScreenshot_20240312_202326_Gallery.jpg

• Wow
JCD,

Things that fall into your pool do not cause algae, you do... :mrgreen:

Getting a SWCG should help eliminate that problem.. You still have to test and pay attention, but it will allow you to slack off a little without your pool getting an algae bloom. If you set the SWCG up to maintain your target FC or higher, you just won't get algae.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
I am seeing two different types of the CCP520 on various websites. The taller, thinner one on the left is referred to as the "new" style on Amazon and the shorter one on the right is referred to as the "old" style. Is there any reason to favor one over the other or should I be indifferent? Also, will a 2HP pump damage this filter? I saw someone in another thread mention that a 2HP pump could cause problems with a cartridge filter. The pump also has a lower speed but I do need to use the higher speed during "leaf season" to get them into the skimmers.

1710290320292.jpeg1710290404408.jpeg

Last edited:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
The one on the left is the Clean and Clear.

The right is the Clean and Clear Plus.

Reactions: Newdude
I saw someone in another thread mention that a 2HP pump could cause problems with a cartridge filter.
Afaik, max flow rate is the limiting factor. The CC Plus's is 150 GPM, which is a LOT. On high speed, your pump hits this with a head of 37 feet at a pressure of 16 psi according to the curves in the manual. It's likely at such a flow rate your pool has much more dynamic head than 37' (most pools do), so all should be fine.

BTW, the TFP mantra is to consider a variable speed pump. 2HP is way more than needed for your pool. VSPs use far less power and are quieter. A data point: 3 years ago my 19.6k gallon pool had a single speed 1.5 HP pump. It flowed 105 GPM with a clean filter (CCP 330). At that rate, flow in 2" pipe (let alone 1.5") is very turbulent. Much power goes into churning water rather than pushing it around. Efficient flow ends at 60 GPM. With a VSP, getting there is simple. Power consumed is ~80% less than the old pump.

Caveat: Trust the TFP experts over me. I'm just another owner...

Last edited:
Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
New house, inherited setup. I will get a variable speed pump when the one I have dies. I agree that they're better and at my old house, switching from a single speed pump to a VSP was a significant electricity savings. For the new place, the two speed pump is "good enough" for now considering that I run it on low speed most of the time so the savings wouldn't be as blatant.

Reactions: generessler
For the new place, the two speed pump is "good enough" for now
It has 90%(?) of the savings on low speed. All rigs / plumbing setups are different, yadda yadda yadda.

Even when it's time, the cost increase to go VS may not ROI by the small savings in electricity over the 2 speed if electricity is cheap by you or you have PV solar to offset it.