Pentair Pump Leaking

Chappie

Apr 25, 2016
Lafayette, LA
My Pentair Challenger Pump has sprung a leak and nothing I have done will fix it.

The leak is in the socket union that attaches to the top of the front housing. I've tried caulk and then I tried sealing it with teflon tape just as a last course, but I think I need to just replace it. The pressure just forms bubbles in the caulk which quickly rupture, and the tape did basically nothing.

My questions are, 1) what sort of sealant should I be using to shore up this leak? 2) Should I just replace the whole section? If so, will I be able to remove the union without damaging the front housing, or will I need to replace the front housing and the union?

"The leak is in the socket union that attaches to the top of the front housing."

Do you mean at the top of the basket or at the top of the impeller housing? Assuming you mean the top of the impeller housing, you may need to use a PVC pipe dope if the teflon tape didn't work. Leave it 24 hours to set before you turn it on. You may also have a crack in the output of the impeller housing in which case, there's not much you can do other than to replace that part.

Chappie,

Are you talking about a leak around where the pipe going to your filter "Screws" into your pump?

If so, this is very common and can be fixed by using pump unions..

Pump unions, use an O-ring on the threaded side and do not reply on the treads to make a seal.

There are special and not something you can buy at Home Depot..

Show us some pics...

Thanks,

Jim R.

"The leak is in the socket union that attaches to the top of the front housing."

Do you mean at the top of the basket or at the top of the impeller housing? Assuming you mean the top of the impeller housing, you may need to use a PVC pipe dope if the teflon tape didn't work. Leave it 24 hours to set before you turn it on. You may also have a crack in the output of the impeller housing in which case, there's not much you can do other than to replace that part.

Just found two pinhole leaks in the impeller housing as well, so that's that. Is it recommended to replace the shaft seal while I'm at it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.