Pentair pump fan removal

punkieys17

Nov 18, 2022
United kingdom
Hi everyone. I'm having to replace the bearings on a Pentair above ground pump. The label is too faded to give you a model but looks similar to the Swimmy. Dismantling has gone well but I'm stuck on how to remove the fan from the motor. There's a wedge in the fan hub and I cannot work out how to remove it. I've attached a picture....any help greatly appreciated20221118_114414.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Let's see if Poolman knows... Calling @1poolman1

Thanks,

Jim R.
That metal collar acts as a locking ring. If that can be removed (very difficult at times) the actual fan should loosen from the shaft and come off with some gentle persuasion from the back. A socket that fits over the shaft and is the size of the ring can be used to drive the ring back on. The problem is the shape of the fan doesn't let a true bearing removal tool fit and getting a 3-jaw puller in is hard because the jaws don't want to fit. Not sure where to get a fan if it breaks. I have only done 1, and it was a learning experience, did it to find out if it was worth the effort on a burned-out Pentair motor. Interestingly, the motors on the older Hayward EcoStars are incredibly easy to work on, fan is held with an E-clip. I've done bearings on those motors on the tailgate of my truck.

Found it better to take Pentair motor to a motor shop now, they have the proper tools and, locally, charge $300.00 + for bearings in a variable-speed motor. That's why I am so insistent on this forum to encourage seal replacements as a regular maintenance procedure about every 5 years (or sooner if water is seen) as I was taught 30 years ago.

Will the bearing puller lock onto the metal ring?
The problem is the shape of the fan doesn't let a true bearing removal tool fit and getting a 3-jaw puller in is hard because the jaws don't want to fit and stay on the ring as it is tightened. I just pried with a screwdriver when I did it. Didn't really care if anything broke as the motor was dead anyway. I used some wire twisted tightly around the end of the fan to relieve some of the pressure on the ring and worked slowly. Learned that it is more work than I want to do unless it was mine.

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.