Austin, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-60
I have a 3.5 year old 920 which is a rebadged Dolphin. It worked fine this morning, but I went down to restart it to get a second cycle and it won't turn on. No lights, no nothing. I tested the power chord and used a different outlet to no avail.

I believe it's the power supply and not the robot. I can get a replacement power supply for $400 and there's one on eBay right now with a single bid at $175. Given the age, I'm debating whether I should just buy a whole new robot. I'm struggling to find the right combo, so any advice is appreciated.

1. I like the fine filters on the 920. I've had construction debris and sometimes we can get some dust and the fine filter definitely cleans the pool better. The Evo 604/614i seem to struggle with finer debris.
2. I wouldn't mind a Wi-Fi app to start a second cycle without having to physically press the button, ideally I'd like to be able to remote drive the thing to get that pesky leaf, etc.
3. My 920 occasionally gets stuck on a main drain, super annoying. It also sometimes gets wedged between my swim up bar stools

What would you guys do?

I may just go Nautilus CC Supreme. More than I wanted to spend but comes with dual filters, Wi-Fi drive, twin motors (which should prevent the drain getting stuck). Thoughts?

If it was the power supply and you bought the same model, you could use the original until it died and have a brand new spare. 🤷‍♂️

Murphys being Murphys and all, if you had a backup robot onsite, the original would outlast us all.

Or this could be your excuse to change directions. Decisions decisions. :epds:

I may just go Nautilus CC Supreme. More than I wanted to spend but comes with dual filters, Wi-Fi drive, twin motors (which should prevent the drain getting stuck). Thoughts?
DB,

The one you have has two motors.. one for the driver and one for the suction. I think the Nautilus is the same. Unlike the EVO which has two drive motors plus a suction motor.

I think you will find the "drive it yourself option" to be mostly marketing. While it works, it would almost be easier to drain the pool, walk over and clean up the dirty spot, then refill the pool... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

DB,

Did you buy your Robot from Marina Pool and Spa??

Either way, I'd call Margaret and see what she wants for a new Power Supply..

Do you need the timer option?

Thanks,

Jim R.
I got my cleaner from my pool builder, it was part of the pool. The Pentair 3 year warranty just expired.

I don't need the timer, I literally just have been manually turning on/off. I usually run 2-3 cycles once a week. I store it in a covered shed and don't leave it in the water so the schedule is not worthwhile. I read your post on your Evo, but I need ultrafine filter support and ideally manual drive.

There are no shortage of replacement power supplies for $375. I guess for me, if I buy a new one, that's the cheapest repair but who knows how much longer the robot will last. Also, it gets stuck a lot and I overall haven't loved it. I'd hate to spend $400 and lose that.

Finally, I have a $500 Amazon gift card from a work project, while I can use that for groceries or anything, it helps take a bit of the sting out.

Reactions: Newdude
If it was the power supply and you bought the same model, you could use the original until it died and have a brand new spare. 🤷‍♂️

Murphys being Murphys and all, if you had a backup robot onsite, the original would outlast us all.

Or this could be your excuse to change directions. Decisions decisions. :epds:
The 920s are like $1,400 to replace. You make a decent point. If it was $800, maybe I'd do it...

DB,

The one you have has two motors.. one for the driver and one for the suction. I think the Nautilus is the same. Unlike the EVO which has two drive motors plus a suction motor.

I think you will find the "drive it yourself option" to be mostly marketing. While it works, it would almost be easier to drain the pool, walk over and clean up the dirty spot, then refill the pool... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
I meant dual drive motors, the Supreme has 3 motors, one suction, two drive. This is only for the Supreme, not the normal, plus or pro.

I'm a bit OCD and hate when there's the one leaf I can't seem to get with my net.

DB,

If you don't need the timer, then the cheapest one will work just fine..

Thanks,

Jim R.
Woh, are we sure this will work with a 920? It looks like the same connectors. If true, this might be the route to take. This is the exact model of mine:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
DB,

I still say talk with Margaret... Even if you don't buy from her, she can get you pointed in the right direction.

I suspect the basic PS is less, than $200 if you buy it from her. $200 is the MSRP.

Margaret Mills
Marina Pool, Spa & Patio
7777 West Jewell Avenue
Lakewood, Colorado 80232
303-985-0077
[email protected]

I too thought I needed the pleated filters. But, for me anyway, I can't see any difference in what the EVO picks up vs. the Dolphin.. :scratch:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Special thanks to @Jimrahbe !

I didn't hear back from Marina, but I did buy the universal power supply for $199 on Amazon (I had a $250 gift card so it worked out). Anyways, it works perfectly. It also seems better built than the original unit. It's at least twice the weight and just feels more solid. My last one always had a sort of electronic buzz to it, the plastic felt flexy and cheap and the lights would flicker when you'd plug it in. I doubt that's relevant, but regardless, this saved me $200 and my 920 is back to cleaning the pool. Thanks again!

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.