Greater Houston
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My mastertemp 400 keeps kicking off after it heats up for a while. First got SFS message, replaced that sensor and now getting HLS. Unit is only about a year old. Filed a claim with pentair and they are coming out today. I test and treat my water myself but being a salt pool I have dealt with high PH a lot, are they going to use that as excuse to not cover this thing? Anyone have experience with them?

Clean your filter and increase your flow if you have a VS pump.

Check the thermal regulator.

Remove the thermal regulator and put it in a pot of water and see if it opens at 120F.

As a test try running the heater without the thermal regulator.

Reactions: 4x4tx

Exhaust Gas Temperature.​

While running, press and hold the On button to display the exhaust temperature (Older Models).

The new models use the Menu to get the SFS.

Here is what the normal exhaust temperature should be:

• Below 250 degrees...very low
  • 250 to 290 ..................low
  • 290 to 350.................acceptable
  • 350 to 480 ..................high
  • Above 480...................error/shutdown.
Note: HD models can be up to 75 degrees higher. HD models use a cupro nickel exchanger and the efficiency is slightly lower resulting in less heat transfer and more waste heat.

If the exhaust gas temperature is higher then normal then water may be bypassing the heat exchanger through a broken bypass valve.

If you hold down the "pool on" button, it stays on 80, then flashes to 40, then back to 80, then the 80/40 reading and E05 indicate that the board is not getting a reading from the sensor. It's usually a bad sensor or damaged wires.

Reactions: 4x4tx
Ok thanks. I will read up on this more.

I did think flow was an issue, I have the intellicenter and i put the pump on max flow but it will kick off sometimes without me toggling it off.

Pentair guy beat me to the testing, he replaced the thermal regulator. It had a little bit of corrosion on it.

Exhaust Gas Temperature.​

While running, press and hold the On button to display the exhaust temperature (Older Models).

The new models use the Menu to get the SFS.

Here is what the normal exhaust temperature should be:

• Below 250 degrees...very low
  • 250 to 290 ..................low
  • 290 to 350.................acceptable
  • 350 to 480 ..................high
  • Above 480...................error/shutdown.
Note: HD models can be up to 75 degrees higher. HD models use a cupro nickel exchanger and the efficiency is slightly lower resulting in less heat transfer and more waste heat.

If the exhaust gas temperature is higher then normal then water may be bypassing the heat exchanger through a broken bypass valve.

If you hold down the "pool on" button, it stays on 80, then flashes to 40, then back to 80, then the 80/40 reading and E05 indicate that the board is not getting a reading from the sensor. It's usually a bad sensor or damaged wires.

James is there a way to get to the menu items like SFS when the MasterTemp is connected to Intellicenter via RS485?

James is there a way to get to the menu items like SFS when the MasterTemp is connected to Intellicenter via RS485?
Run the heater from its control panel with the IntelliCenter in Service Mode.

Reactions: KevMo

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.