Pentair Minimax NT not communicating with controller/app

srm007

Jan 16, 2024
Palm Springs, California
Hello - I am troubleshooting an issue with my Pentair heater to determine if a repair is possible. The heater seems to have lost communication with both the wall-mounted controller (in the house) and the iAqualink app. Starting the heater from the controller or the app looks like it's working, however the heater does not respond to the commands (heater stays "off"). The heater can however be operated manually using the panel on the heater itself. Diagnosing the issue seems to be above the capability of my pool guy; he says parts are difficult to get because of the age of the heater and he doesn't know how to repair it. But the heater does still work when operated manually, and if it's a relatively simple fix then that should buy me more time before replacement. Is communication with the controllers the job of the circuit board in the heater? That's my guess. I see I can buy that part locally and get someone else to install it. Maybe someone here can offer more details and advice about whether this can be repaired somehow. Thank you.

Welcome to TFP.

If your heater runs through it’s control panel then the problem is in your Aqualink system or the control wire between the Aqualink and heater.

The Aqualink uses a simple switch through a relay on its board to turn the heater on and off. Read Heater Control with Automation - Further Reading

It takes someone with a multimeter to check the wiring. Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

There are different model Minimax NTs. Show us a pic of your heater and what LEDs are lit on its panel.

Thanks Allen. I don't have a multimeter. I've attached the images. Do they give you more insight into the issue?
Is the 2-wire control cable still connected in the heater and at the automation? "LO" can mean that the water is too cold for the heater to safely be run and it won't fire until the water gets warmer. Sometimes just takes running the pump a long enough time to get the water to a little higher temperature.

Thanks 1poolman1. The 2-wire is still connected. When I first noticed the issue, it was because I had heated the spa one night and turned it off in the app (like always) but a couple days later I noticed the pool temp was 85 degrees. So the command to turn off the heater using the app didn't work and the pool was heated for a few days. The pool service guy recommended we drop the temperature setting in the app to 50 degrees for both pool and spa, as part of troubleshooting, thinking it might be a different malfunction causing the heater to stay on. I'm thinking now that could cause the LO reading so I'll change it in the app to the regular setting (85 for pool and 101 for spa). I don't know if changing the temperature would have caused the heater to not trigger but it sounds like you're saying that could happen. The current air temp is 67 degrees and the pool temp reads 59. The pump is on 6 hours a day currently.

So the command to turn off the heater using the app didn't work and the pool was heated for a few days.

The control wire insulation has melted or frayed and is shorted. Replace the wire.

That is why your heater would not stop running.

Replace the wire. Pentair specifies to use 18 gauge wire with a minimum 3/64” (1.2mm) thick insulation rated for a temperature rise of at least 105°C. The area the wire passes through can get hot and melt wire insulation.

Thanks Allen. Is that a DIY job? Or do I need an electrician? I'm not certain my pool guy will do it since he says the heater is junk and needs replacing. I could always call in my neighbor's pool person to replace it.
It is low voltage two wire connections on each end.

If you can connect up a stereo speakers you can put in a new wire. Open up both ends and take a look at how it runs and the connections. Post pics if you have questions.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.