Pentair Mastertemp 400HD

thadius65

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 30, 2011
Bloomsburg, PA
I have a 9 year old Pentair Mastertemp 400HD. It has been very reliable, with the exception of a past thermister replacement and this past spring I had to replace the manifold due to a crack. It has been running since the manifold for two months no issues. Now, when I call for heat from my Hayward control panel, the Pentair gets power, LED display shows firmware, etc and the Pool On light turns on. Typically this is when it would fire, but I get no sounds, spark attempts or anything. Just the LED lit up with temp and Pool On. Any tips on what to look for in it's safety protocol? Is there a blinking light behind the control panel that will give me a code, or what are my initial troubleshooting steps. Thanks!

Flip the cover over so you can see the diagnostic LEDs on the board.

The following are the LEDs:

1. .....PS (Pressure Switch)
  2. .....HLS (High Limit Switch)
  3. .....SFS (Stack Flue Sensor)
  4. .....AFS (Air Flow Switch)
  5. .....AGS (Automatic Gas Shutoff).
  6. .....Service System
  7. .....Thermistor
  8. .....Heating
  9. .....Pool On
  10. ...Spa On
  11. ...Service Heater.

Took lid off, restarted everything to call for heat. Firmware shown, then Temperature in window, along with Pool On LED lit. None of the LEDs are lit on back panel, and no E01 on front panel. Will continue to read, but any tips in the meantime greatly appreciated.

** Oddness - I just pressed SPA button and manually set temp and it started right up. I may either have a control board issue. I need to isolate it from my hayward Pro Logic PL-PS-8 end to rule that out also, but that is merely "turn heater power on if pool temp is less than desired temp", and it is turning power on for heater.

More likely you have a bad membrane keypad and not a control board.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I have a 9 year old Pentair Mastertemp 400HD. It has been very reliable, with the exception of a past thermister replacement and this past spring I had to replace the manifold due to a crack. It has been running since the manifold for two months no issues. Now, when I call for heat from my Hayward control panel, the Pentair gets power, LED display shows firmware, etc and the Pool On light turns on. Typically this is when it would fire, but I get no sounds, spark attempts or anything. Just the LED lit up with temp and Pool On. Any tips on what to look for in it's safety protocol? Is there a blinking light behind the control panel that will give me a code, or what are my initial troubleshooting steps. Thanks!
You have a hot-surface ignitor, so no spark or sound. Do you ever hear the gas valve "click" as it opens? Smell gas?

If the heater runs with SPA ON then run it that way. The heater does not know or care if it is heating the pool or spa under automation control.

The Pool button LED is already on and the trigger for heater coming on is the low voltage signal from the panel. So I doubt it is the pad itself. I can go from spa to pool with no issues, it is just that Pool on does nothing.
"Pool" temp may not be set high enough in the heater. Regardless the setting in the automation, the heater control takes precedent. Low voltage signal actually comes from the heater, through the automation, and back to the heater. If the set temperature is not high enough the heater won't try to light by sending that voltage. Both "pool" and "spa" on the heater should be set to 104 and let the automation take over.

So I ended up having two issues. 1). The Pool On button did not allow anything to occur when on. No adjustments or running would occur. Pushing SPA On allowed it to run and after a few cycles, the temp reading on the display was in the 100's, so I ordered a thermistor. With these to changes, I have gone two days with all running fine. Thanks and have a great day!

Reactions: 1poolman1
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.