Pentair MasterTemp 400 manifold replacement question...

Johnsta

Jun 13, 2020
Southern Cal
Hey guys...

My Pentair MasterTemp 400 is leaking at the bottom gasket area of the manifold assembly area. The Pentair kit is $200, but I noticed there is an identical kit made by Switch Doctor for about 125$ cheaper. Does anyone have experience with this basic manifold kit?

Thanks!

Are you sure it's the manifold assembly that's leaking and not the heat exchanger? Maybe post a picture of what you're seeing.

I suggest you stick with OEM parts UNLESS you are really hard-up for cash and need the savings. If you are going to rebuild the manifold, you should make sure you have all the gaskets and bolts for it. You should also consider replacing the internal bypass valve as well.

Are you sure it's the manifold assembly that's leaking and not the heat exchanger? Maybe post a picture of what you're seeing.

I suggest you stick with OEM parts UNLESS you are really hard-up for cash and need the savings. If you are going to rebuild the manifold, you should make sure you have all the gaskets and bolts for it. You should also consider replacing the internal bypass valve as well.

I looks like the leak is coming from the lower left bolt on the manifold. The bolt is rusted out.

I looks like the leak is coming from the lower left bolt on the manifold. The bolt is rusted out.
That's an indication of a heat-exchanger leak, not a manifold leak. Sorry. First place to look for a leaking heat exchanger in those heaters is the lower left, then lower right bolt.
That heater (Max-E-Therm, same heater different box) came out in the mid 1990's. In all that time, and all the heaters worked on, I have only replaced 1 of the plastic manifolds and that was due to freeze damage.

That's an indication of a heat-exchanger leak, not a manifold leak. Sorry. First place to look for a leaking heat exchanger in those heaters is the lower left, then lower right bolt.
That heater (Max-E-Therm, same heater different box) came out in the mid 1990's. In all that time, and all the heaters worked on, I have only replaced 1 of the plastic manifolds and that was due to freeze damage.
Dang. Is it worth fixing it? Is that even a fixable issue? Doesn't make sense to me...where would be it leaking from to get through there?

Dang. Is it worth fixing it? Is that even a fixable issue? Doesn't make sense to me...where would be it leaking from to get through there?
Heat exchanger (a bunch of copper tubing) sits in a large tub called the combustion chamber that can fill with water if the exchanger leaks. Its not sealed, is not supposed to have water in it, and can leak out the manifold mount flange. If it leaks very badly it can be pumped out the combustion fan.
Fixable? Yes. Expensive? Yes. A lot of work? Yes. How old is the heater? Is there a tablet feeder in the plumbing after the heater? Major cause of leaking heat exchangers in those heaters.

Here's how:

Last edited:
Reactions: wireform
Heat exchanger (a bunch of copper tubing) sits in a large tub called the combustion chamber that can fill with water if the exchanger leaks. Its not sealed, is not supposed to have water in it, and can leak out the manifold mount flange. If it leaks very badly it can be pumped out the combustion fan.
Fixable? Yes. Expensive? Yes. A lot of work? Yes. How old is the heater? Is there a tablet feeder in the plumbing after the heater? Major cause of leaking heat exchangers in those heaters.

Here's how:

BUMMER! I would estimate that it is 13-15 years old. The previous owners installed it. There is no tablet feeder system. It was a salt pool, and when the salt cell failed, I went to chlorine. I can pick a refurbished one up locally. I just don't know if I want to trust that.

BUMMER! I would estimate that it is 13-15 years old. The previous owners installed it. There is no tablet feeder system. It was a salt pool, and when the salt cell failed, I went to chlorine. I can pick a refurbished one up locally. I just don't know if I want to trust that.
If the heater is used regularly, that is a good, long life. One that is used constantly, like a hotel pool or spa, will usually only last about 5 years.