Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater set at 98 cuts off at 95 with AGS error

khatch

Oct 24, 2023
Plano, TX
Hello. I have a problem with a fairly new Pentair Mastertemp 400 heater. I haven't found anyone with the exact problem so I'm posting the details here. The heater is about 1.5 years old. It's been working fine since it was installed. But the last 3 times I've tried to use it, it stops heating at about 95 degrees and displays an AGS error. If I power it off and back on, it will start heating again but stop at the same temperature, which is within a couple of minutes once the spa is hot.

At first startup, it works for a good 30 minutes (depending on the starting temperature of the water). After reading some other posts here, it seems it must be flow causing "too hot" conditions or the AGS sensor is reading that it's too hot even though it isn't.

Regarding the temperature, I've stood at the heater and the display says the spa is 95 degrees when it cuts off. I have an intelli touch control and the indoor display shows about 95 or 96 degrees on the spa when it cuts off. I assume that uses separate thermometer and it looks like that is on the PVC that goes into the heater. I don't know of any way to get the true water temperature coming out of the heater that is being returned to the spa. But the water jets in the spa do not feel unusually hot.

Regarding the flow, I don't know how to measure that. I do not have an external bypass. I have a one speed pump. I did recently replace the filter but in an effort to solve this, I back washed it and cleaned the pump basket. There was no change in the heater behavior. I have learned that there is this somewhat fragile internal bypass but I wouldn't expect it to get as hot as it does if it were broken or stuck wide open. Maybe it's a little bit open?

I'm wondering if anyone here has a theory as to what's going on here.

Thanks.

Welcome to the forum!

A signature is helpful to us when troubleshooting equipment. We have no idea what you have in your pool system and it could be important to the problem.

AGS error occurs when the internal temperature of the heat exchanger gets too high. This temperature can be much different than the water exit temperature and can be caused by low flow rate or a bad thermal regulator.

How old is the heater?

Do you have a VS pump and are running at lower RPM?

What is the filter pressure?

When did you clean your filter last?

Thank you for the signature reminder.

How old is the heater? about 1.5 years old

Do you have a VS pump and are running at lower RPM? No, I have a single speed pump.

What is the filter pressure? about 18 psi

When did you clean your filter last? Last week.

Welcome to the forum!

A signature is helpful to us when troubleshooting equipment. We have no idea what you have in your pool system and it could be important to the problem.

AGS error occurs when the internal temperature of the heat exchanger gets too high. This temperature can be much different than the water exit temperature and can be caused by low flow rate or a bad thermal regulator.

How old is the heater?

Do you have a VS pump and are running at lower RPM?

What is the filter pressure?

When did you clean your filter last?
Thank you. I just replaced the thermal regulator today and it resolved the issue. I really appreciate the suggestion.

Reactions: mas985
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.