Pentair Mastertemp 125 heater won't turn on.

Welcome to TFP.

Is your MasterTemp heater connected to any automation system or is it run by its control panel?

Have you checked the CB powering it?

Do you have a multimeter and know how to use it?

CB = circuit breaker

Start tracing voltage in and out of the transformer.

Download the manual to get the wiring diagrams.

See if you have 24V at the board power connector.

You absolutely sure the fuse is good?

ok, yes, CB is good. So just now, I was going to test for the 24 volts from the power supply to the board, got nothing, maybe was not testing it correctly... plugged it back in and it lit up and is working now......
I had a similar episode with my MT heater. Connectors were intermittent. There were random malfunctions where wiggling one would get things going again. This was a 2-year old heater with connectors looking completely fine. Finally got it to be reliable (2+ years now, knock on wood) by pulling each connector apart, spraying with CRC contact cleaner, and re-plugging.

Last edited:
Reactions: rgodding
It’s not well documented, but I believe MasterTemps have some sort of safety disable feature when water temps are cold. I believe they just completely shutdown if water temps are below 40. No panel, no response.

I remember in Feb 2021, I made a last ditch effort to save the pool and the heater wouldn’t turn on, water temps were in the 30s. I thought it was dead so when I had some pipes repaired and started the pool back up, I was happily surprised the heater turned on.

Curious about it, I actually tested on Wednesday, just turn on for one second to see. I couldn’t get any buttons to work, and automation wouldn’t fire it. After letting the water warm, I flipped the breaker and tried again and the panel lit up. Once I saw that, I shut it off.

I googled and found some pdf somewhere that said they won’t power/fire if water temps are below 40F.

Might just be waiting until things warm up.

Reactions: rgodding
My pump does something like that, it'll only start up at 1000 rpm, but this heater had never done that in the almost 6 years that I've had it. Now having said that, it did it again. I had it shut off for about 18 hours and flipped the power on. The heater showed nothing until i opened it up and pulled the lead for the 24 volts to the keypad. Plugged in back in and the heater fired.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Show us pictures of the heater and the LED that is flashing.

Check the PCB is getting 24V from the transformer.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.