Pentair intelliflow VSF restarts every other day at 4 am

Had a conversation with Pentair. The technician went through my ScreenLogic config app reset everything only running one schedule. Everything worked well up until yesterday morning around 6 AM. I heard the pump restart. However, around daylight when I walked outside, I noticed some pooling on the ground underneath the motor end, and a faint, squeaking noise, however it doesn’t make the noise all the time I checked it today and I was no noise. Any thoughts?

Attachments

• IMG_6754.jpeg
    IMG_6754.jpeg
    229 KB · Views: 2
Damon,

It looks like your shaft seal is leaking.. It needs to be changed before you wipe out your bearings..

But.. That should have nothing to do with the pump shutting off.

Do you have the SVRS version of the IntelliFlo?

Do you have a newer VSF IntelliFlo?

Show me the schedule you are now running..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Had a conversation with Pentair. The technician went through my ScreenLogic config app reset everything only running one schedule. Everything worked well up until yesterday morning around 6 AM. I heard the pump restart. However, around daylight when I walked outside, I noticed some pooling on the ground underneath the motor end, and a faint, squeaking noise, however it doesn’t make the noise all the time I checked it today and I was no noise. Any thoughts?
Damon,

It looks like your shaft seal is leaking.. It needs to be changed before you wipe out your bearings..

But.. That should have nothing to do with the pump shutting off.

Do you have the SVRS version of the IntelliFlo?

Do you have a newer VSF IntelliFlo?

Show me the schedule you are now running..

Thanks,

Jim R.

VSF
1698859276930.png

Damon,

If you have not already done so, you need to check the F/W in the pump... You have to use the pump's display by putting the automation in the Service mode. If 3.03 or 3.04 it has a bug that can cause the RS-485 control line to stop working.

Also confirm it is not an SVRS version of the pump... It will say on the pump body label.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Damon,

If you have not already done so, you need to check the F/W in the pump... You have to use the pump's display by putting the automation in the Service mode. If 3.03 or 3.04 it has a bug that can cause the RS-485 control line to stop working.

Also confirm it is not an SVRS version of the pump... It will say on the pump body label.

Thanks,

Jim R.
Pump firm ware shows 2.11 not sure if that’s old. Here is a few pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_6768.jpeg
    IMG_6768.jpeg
    269.6 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6770.jpeg
    IMG_6770.jpeg
    246.1 KB · Views: 3
  • IMG_6779.jpeg
    IMG_6779.jpeg
    215.6 KB · Views: 3
Damon,

I suggest that you talk with Pentair again and confirm that your VSF pump does not need a F/W upgrade..

I know that 3.03 and 3.04 are bad and higher seems to be ok, but I have no idea if 2.11 is ok or not. I assume it is, as I have not heard of any issues, but I'd let Pentair be the one to tell you for sure.

The pump should not just turn off on its own...

If the RS-485 com port is intermittent, it could cause the pump to shut off when the signal is lost and then restart when the signal comes back.

Show me a pic of your EasyTouch with the top panel folded down so we can see the back of the main circuit card...

You do not appear to have the dreaded SVRS option... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Damon,

I suggest that you talk with Pentair again and confirm that your VSF pump does not need a F/W upgrade..

I know that 3.03 and 3.04 are bad and higher seems to be ok, but I have no idea if 2.11 is ok or not. I assume it is, as I have not heard of any issues, but I'd let Pentair be the one to tell you for sure.

The pump should not just turn off on its own...

If the RS-485 com port is intermittent, it could cause the pump to shut off when the signal is lost and then restart when the signal comes back.

Show me a pic of your EasyTouch with the top panel folded down so we can see the back of the main circuit card...

You do not appear to have the dreaded SVRS option... :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.
Sun is pretty bright today bumpy here is a look

Attachments

• IMG_6783.jpeg
    IMG_6783.jpeg
    259.1 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6785.jpeg
    IMG_6785.jpeg
    344.8 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6790.jpeg
    IMG_6790.jpeg
    284.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6789.jpeg
    IMG_6789.jpeg
    305.3 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6787.jpeg
    IMG_6787.jpeg
    334 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6793.jpeg
    IMG_6793.jpeg
    338.8 KB · Views: 4
Damon,

Thanks for the pics...

I don't see the RS-485 cable from the pump...

Every IntelliFlo pump that I have seen comes with a black RS-485 cable that only has two wires.. Green and Yellow.

Look at your pump and see what color cable is attached to the com port connector.. Follow that cable back inside the EasyTouch and see where it is connected.

Do you have an Internal salt cell power center??? Like this..

If so, it may be connected there.. Show me pics of what is connected to that card.

Thanks,

Jim R.

There is a COM port for the SWG. . The first picture the white wire come in from the screen logic. The other jumps from one COM port to the other. Is that correct. Never paid attention.

Attachments

• IMG_6798.jpeg
    IMG_6798.jpeg
    295.3 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6797.jpeg
    IMG_6797.jpeg
    409.2 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6800.jpeg
    IMG_6800.jpeg
    195.8 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6801.jpeg
    IMG_6801.jpeg
    240.9 KB · Views: 2
  • IMG_6802.jpeg
    IMG_6802.jpeg
    279.3 KB · Views: 2

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Damon,

There is only one com port, but there are several places to connect to it. It all starts with the Main Card J20. You have two things connected to J20, which electrically is just fine, but.. the more wires you try to cram into one connector, the more likely that there could be an intermittent connection.

The card on the back wall makes the power for your salt cell, but it also adds three places to connect the RS-485 connections. This is where your pump is connected (the bottom connector).. The connector on the left side of the surge card simply connects the main card to the surge card. At this point your ScreenLogic antenna is also connected to the J20.. I suggest that you move the ScreenLogic antenna cable from J20 and connect it to the connector on the right side of the Surge card which is not currently being used. This would allow every connection to be just one device. Then make sure that the little screws that tighten the wires in place are all tight, on all of the connectors.. YOU MUST have all the AC power off to the EasyTouch to do this. DO NOT touch the wires unless the power is off. There is nothing there to shock you, but if the power is on, you can blow up the com chips.

I really doubt that this is causing your pump problem, but it would not hurt to remove it from being a possible issue.

The EasyTouch can have ghost programs that do not show up in ScreenLogic..

Use the LCD and menu button and confirm that only the schedules in ScreenLogic show up in the the EasyTouch..

Menu, Schedules.. Scroll down through all Circuits and confirm there are no extra ones.. As an example.. Pool should show a 1 because you only have one Pool Schedule.. (Unless you added more)..

If all the schedules look ok, and the pump keeps turning off and restarting at a specific time each day, then I would suggest that you Erase the EEPROM and start over... :cry:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.